1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octave Pedal Tracking

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kombo, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    I'm going to buy an octave pedal, and I want something that can track my chords more than anything, and I couldn't really find anything on that. I've been leaning towards the Aguilar Octamizer so far, but if you guys have a better suggestion on a pedal that will track 2 or 3 note chords perfectly, let me know. Tracking lower than a G is a bonus, but not necessary.

Thanks in advance!

2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Don't go analog if you want chord tracking, it won't work. Analog octave requires a single note to track.

Go digital - EHX products are a good starting place.

Bass Whammy is another good choice.

3. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    For cheap great polyphonic tracking, get the Mooer Tender Octave (basically a clone of the EHX micro-POG). It's cheapest when ordered from Aliexpress.com, though shipping takes a while.

Another option is the TC Electronic Sub'n'Up.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    gotta go digital. No?

Mosfed and blindrabbit like this.
  5. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    Yes analog octave pedals have a lot of advantages but none of them tracks chords. The EBS claims to, but in my experience it only sort of does, though its probably the best of the bunch.

The POG is certainly the most common option. I have the tender octaver and it's pretty great and it was cheap as hell.

Another option you should look into is the boss oc3. I've never tried it, but the poly mode supposedly functions by low passing the signal before it hits the octave engine, meaning you can isolate the lowest note of a chord and track just that without also tracking higher notes. The idea is that you could synthesize an octave below the root note of the chord (usually the lowest you're playing) without also trying to track more dissonant notes that may be higher in the voicing (3rds, 7ths, 9th, etc.) so that your sub octave doesn't get muddy.

SanDiegoHarry and Kombo like this.
  6. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Awesome that sounds exactly like what I want. And those are pretty cheap used, I'll look at it. Thanks buddy

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You do if you want to be able to track polyphonically. The OP wants an octave pedal that will track chords. There isn't an analog pedal on the market that can do that.

EDIT: I just realized you ended 'no' with a question mark. I think I ended up reiterating what you were getting at. If so, my bad.

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    You did indeed.
    All good!
    ;)

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    The TC Sub 'N' Up is probably the best choice, I've only heard good things and it's significantly less expensive than the competition. Personally I favour the Bass Whammy because of all the cool stuff it does (the treadle is good for more than just Tom Morello squeally stuff, the harmony options are very cool too), but I'm tempted to go for the TC when I have more money and a bigger PSU for my board.

I'd only go for a POG if I were going go get the full fat one, or even a HOG. The TC seems to do everything the Micro/Nano will do for less, and I imagine there's a toneprint that convincingly cops a POG sound. I don't really know enough on the Aguillar, although every single piece of their kit I've ever come across has been really top-notch stuff.

EDIT: The Bass Whammy will handle chords fine. I find that when you get way down low it can crap out a little (we're talking lower than 3rd fret on the E), but it's more or less perfect tracking. Maybe a compressor before could straighten that up too.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    zontar and Driven Crane like this.
  10. Tracking chords? If you want polyphonics, you have to go digital. The Aggie is a fabulous sounding pedal, but it is analog, so forget about it. You want something from the POG or Whammy families. You have to go digital, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

rjovin, Jonny_Orange and RickyT like this.
  11. mike4bass

mike4bass

Sep 7, 2016
    Europe
    +1 for the EHX Nano Pog

Doner Designs likes this.
  12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've had several octave pedals over the years and I have not found any that do chords well, particularly for bass. None. I've owned the Boss OC2, EHX Pog, EHX Pog2, DOD FX35 and currently use a MXR M288, which I'm very happy with but, like the other pedals mentioned, doesn't do chords well.

13. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Discontinued, but still available...I recommend the Mooer Tender Octaver.

ShadowImage and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    most don't do well with chords ... as most have said .. but i never tried any of my previous octavers while playing chords on bass ..??!! used that mostly on guitar ... oct up for 12 string-ish , oct down for depth ..

i did find a reasonably priced Fishman Fission Powerchord fx pedal , which when i played 1 note on the bass , it would produce a oct & 4 or 5th ... it had separate outs ... i ran the upper 5th to some gtr fx ... split the root note and also ran it thru an octaver ... so i played 1 note , and got 4 ... oct down , root , oct up , 5th ..

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've owned every pedal mentioned so far, and a few others.

None of the analog octaves track chords, and none of them track low strings.

Get a POG.

16. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Got one of the Digitech Wammys not long ago (on the advice of some folks here). I'm very happy with it. It does track chords; not that I play chords much in my band situations, but messing around with it at the house I've yet to notice any dropouts on polyphonic stuff.

Driven Crane likes this.
  17. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Micro POG

Doner Designs likes this.
  18. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I have a EHX Micro POG. Easy operation, haven't had any problems with it tracking.

Roberto Nunez and Doner Designs like this.
  19. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    the bass whammy will cop everything an mono or poly octave pedal, a harmonizer, pitchshifter, and a detuner will do. the POG Does some swells and synth patches but is only polyphonic

Driven Crane likes this.
  20. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Does the nano vs micro matter at all? Or is it just footprint?

MTN.bass72 likes this.