1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octave pedal used on Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer".

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moobass, May 15, 2006.

1. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    Yes another Tony Levin question...

He mentions using a "Octaver" and a lot of compression on "Sledgehammer". Any know for sure or could take a guess (based off the year or a similar setup he used elsewhere) what "Octaver" he's talking about?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Boss OC-2

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Sweet. I didn't know that. I have one of those. Thanks.:D

4. Sledge-hammer - what a cool bass line! And I second that 'sweet' - I have one too! Nice to know that affordable stomp-boxes are used by the pros too!

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Forgot to say a fretless bass as well

6. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    It was a fretless? I read an interview with him where he talks about all his basses and names each one by fretless or this and that. When he mentions the "Sledge" bass he does not add that is it was fretless. He just talks about it being a MM Sabre and they used a lot of compression and a Octaver. There also sounds like some slap and ping against some frets on there. Maybe I'm just hallucinating (again...)

:O)

7. I don't think the EBS OctaBass was on the market at that point.

8. LOL - Well still, it is always good to hear a pro show us that affordable equipment can sound great. And it is even better when you just recently found your own very same affordable piece of equipment in a pile of old crap in the back of a friend's closet! :smug:

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    His Sledge - a Sabre 4 string, is in fact fretless. I saw him use it close-up last year. Like from 8 feet away . . . god those were expensive tickets, but worth every penny . . .

10. The original recorded version of Sledgehammer was infact a rare custom music man with interchangeable necks that I understand was based on the Sabre. This bass was destroyed in Tonys infamous barn fire.

Since then he has used a "normal" black fretless sabre live.

11. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    Here's the link to a really great interview with Tony (2002) where he describes his arsenal of basses, their uses, and what happened to them.
    I did not want to get into flaming anyone, for what they think etc... I believe this to be accurate (I'm sure Tony's memory is not the greatest, but he is no Keith Richards either. LOL I've compared some of the info from this article up against video and older interviews and found it to be correct, so far).

http://www.steveadelson.com/index.php?sec=reports&sub=interviews&tmp=interview.php&f=%2Fcontent%2Finterviews%2Flevin-092002.php

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I think the slap and ping against frets is his "funk fingers." I'm pretty sure he uses those on this track.

13. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
    I'm pretty sure it's the combo of overuse of compression and that Octaver just below the mix that gives it a fretless 'like' tone. See the "In Your Eyes" thread just below. Very similar type tone, just in "Sledgehammer" it sounds like Tony is getting more slap going (not with the funk fingers to my ears).

14. moobass

moobass

May 3, 2006
  15. No funk fingers on Sledgehammer. Steam is the definitive funk fingers tune IMO, and the idea came about during the session for Big Time.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    best. 80s. song. ever.

so timeless... :cool:

17. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Tony said he used a pick on "Sledgehammer" in the Steve Adelson interview moobass mentioned:

"The bass I played the Gabriel track "Sledgehammer" with was a black Music Man Sabre bass (the only non-Stingray I've had) which I played on that track with a lot of compression, a pick, and an octaver."

18. I had to learn "Sledge..." for a cover band I was subbing with. I didn't have the advantage of internet research at the time to find out exactly what was going on technique and effect-wise, but I took a shot and decided to use a pick and an octaver, but then also decided to put a very slow, light chorus on it as well, and this, for me, gives that little bit of slap-back or delay to the sound, especially with the pick being used. And my effect of choice was a Zoom 506II, now replaced with a B2 (thank goodness!). Learned a lot through that song...