1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

octave pedal vs detuning

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by infamousxtopher, Jun 25, 2007.

1. am I high or is this not tuning down for a four banger?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh yeah, that's technically still tuning down, as the ordinary 4-string bass is tuned EADG.

The only reason why it'd be considered different is because he's using the bottom four strings of a 5-string set (BEAD), as opposed to tuning down your ordinary 4-string set.

I used to have a bass that was built specifically for BEAD tuning. I never got used to it.

IMO, a five-string bass may be your best bet, but I'd definitely try out some octave pedals and see how you feel about them for covering those lower notes. It's not the same sound and effect, though.

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    If the band tunes CGCFAD and you tune BEAD you still have the range to play what ever they place. You can hit their low C's and everything.

I just don't understand the need to use an octave pedal to get the low range. Just play the C on the B if you need the C.

You can play plenty of moving bass lines in tuning BEAD while the guitars tune CGCFAD.

I'm unable to see the problem in this situation?

Be creative I guess.

Peace

-Benny

4. :) i'll start again, i misstated in my first post about detuning, i have been stringing my bass for gigs with the last four strings of a five string set tuned BEAD, which is all fine and dandy, but i only have one bass and play at least two other gigs a week, monstly jazz and blues which i need my g string for so i switch back to a standard set and because of this i can not set my bass up properly when i do have to play BEAD. i was looking for a quick fix to stop me from changing strings at least once a week, rentonating and whatnot. i was hoping an octave pedal could help me out with this as i'm a four string kinda guy.

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I say go EADG+octaver... or, buy a cheap bass and string it BEAD... cheap basses can sometimes be very well made...

6. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    ahhh sorry about that, I missed the part about switching between standard E and B.

You could go the Essex round and get a 4 or 5 string for what you'll pay (or less) for a decent octave pedal?

Peace

-Benny

7. Tell your band that detuning does not make them heavy. There are plenty of bands who are heavy and still in a "normal" tuning.

L.A.

8. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    And what does that mean? That all bands must stay in a normal tuning and try to sound heavy (to you) this way? Or that everyone has the talent to do that? And wouldn't the bands you say are heavy in a normal tuning sound heavier detuned?

9. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    yeah :) get a Squier or something, might solve the problem

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I already figured as much. That's why I was suggesting that you get a decent 5-string - It's a pain to change strings and setups that often if you really need that low B.

If you do want to try the octave route, you'll probably want something that's more natural and less synthy or dirty; the Ampeg Sub-Blaster and EBS Octabass would probably be the best tools for the job. Give one of them a try, and if you're not satisfied, either will sell well here. It's an inexpensive experiment compared to adapting to, buying, or selling a 5-string.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I love my SX Jazz 5 :D

12. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ah, yes, of course... the CHEAPEST good 5-string out there. Makes pedals look expensive :D

Seriously, though... SX has a good reputation on TB. Read up on their basses in the Basses Forum (you may need to also search using "essex" if not much comes up).

13. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    If I read the thread starter's posts correctly, he's not interested in a fiver, he'll buy a better 4 string and tune his current one BEAD for this band.

14. i'm thinking a new bass is the way to go, probably a new four to string up BEAD though, i've had two sx's in the past and they were wonderful basses, so maybe another one is in order, i actually have 4 basses, but i have a horrible habit of taking things apart to upgrade and then they sit there for a while until i remember to order parts, so only one working bass right now, i think i'll pick up an sx for the time being til i get my stuff up and running. on another note i borrowed a guitarists oc-2 (i think that's the model number) to try out, just not my cup of tea just seems like the note is fake, which well..it is. i just saw a thread on the new octave multiplexer in a small form factor..might have to try that when it comes out. but for now i'll order an extra bass and see what happens,. thanks a lot for all your comments guys/girls.

topher.

15. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Dude, if you've already got 3 other basses sitting then just go and fix one of these... don't waste your money!

16. haha i know, but getting them working would be more than the sx and i need a temporary fix.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021