Octave Pedal with Loop!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Dec 2, 2018.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    So I'm playing around with my new Cog T-16 (AMAZING!!), and i'm slightly frustrated by the octave signal overdriving other pedals.
    So I had the idea:
    Octave pedal with effects loop.
    Based on the T-16, the Clean knob would affect only the loop, while the sub control is normal. So you could still turn down your clean and get only the sub, but when you put on a distortion, the sub signal isn't being fed into it, so your drives still sound like they do when the octave isn't on.
    This could sound awesome with envelope filter, as well. Think of your filtered sound, but with an uneffected sub-octave below. Or phaser, or delay, or...

I emailed Tom at Cog about a possible custom piece, but honestly, I'm a bit surprised that I haven't seen this idea before.

Thoughts?

2. Frellin Smesh

Frellin Smesh

Jul 1, 2016
    London
    cosmicevan likes this.
  3. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm...

Yeah, it's in there, but it's a bit more complicated than a fellow like me would like.
    Just label the Loop as Clean, nix the original Clean knob, and I don't need the Up octave.
    I still think my idea has merit. :p

4. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    And the loop volume would basically have to be passive, as it would have to still pass signal even with the pedal off. So all the pedal would actually turn on is the suboctave.
    Hmmm...

No, wait. The switch would toggle the loop either through the octave pedal, or just straight through.
    Yeah, Boss already has this functionality in their LS-2.
    So when the pedal is disengaged, the clean knob would be disabled.

5. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The One Series pedals by Source Audio have loops that do just about anything, like what you're asking. They do not currently have an octave pedal but they are developing one.

6. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've messed with the Kingmaker for a while, and yeah, it's really cool, but I couldn't find a way to get it to do what I'm wanting to do.
    But maybe they'll fix that when the octave comes out.
    Good to know.

7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I missed some of the finer points of your original post. Did you ask in one of the SA threads about it?

8. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    No, i only mentioned SA because you brought them up.

I am curious to see what their octave will look like, though.

9. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Why not commission Cog to make what you want?

10. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I sent Tom an email. Awaiting a reply.
    Also just wanted to throw it out to the community, see if anyone was already doing this, or if anybody else would dig it.

11. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I think i should clarify:
    I want to use a drive pedal in parallel with the octave, and also use that same drive pedal by itself without the octave.
    I’m essentially talking about a parallel blend, but want the loop to function as my standard signal path as well.

So i can use all my pedals as if they were in a standard series set-up, but with the option of throwing a parallel octave under it, and as is standard on octave pedals, turn down the clean knob and get only the sub.
    Does that make sense?

12. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
  13. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    I bet this would be easier to do with another pedal that has two loops and allows you to blend them together.

Loop 1: Octave pedal
    Loop 2: Drives

The Boss LS-2 doesn't quite get you there, since there isn't a mode that will allow you to keep one loop always on while switching the other on and off, but there might be others that will allow it, or you could have one made by someone like American Loopers or maybe Loop-Master.

Edit: Cog actually has a ton of different loop switchers in their "Custom" section, and a couple of them might do what I describe above. Have a look at the "Light Side, Dark Side", which has three modes: "Loop1", "Loop2" and "Loop1+2". If I'm reading that correctly, it will do exactly what you want, plus the added ability to runn only the octave loop by itself if you want.

There are quite a few other switchers there too.
    COG Effects - Custom Pedals

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  14. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Tom replied to my email saying he might already have something like this in the works.
    So we’ll see.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022