Octave pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seanm, Dec 23, 2004.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am looking for an octave pedal that is low noise and dosen't rob tone when off. This would be for practice and live use, not for studio.

Are either the Boss OC-3 or the MXR M88 octave pedals any good? Both are available locally.
  2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Don't know about the MXR...I own an OC-3 and use it all the time at gigs, no complaints. It's low noise for sure.
  3. How low can you go with the BOSS OC-3?

Meaning my BOSS ME-50B can only track as low as the E,... maybe the D on the A string.
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    What about octave pedals that add an higher octave? Or only an octave up and no original? Kinda like an 8-string bass.
  5. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i've been dying to check out the newish electro harmonix POG (poly octave generator). it has a few different octave voices that you can set with sliders (ala the bass miroc synth). it sounds like it would be pretty hot, and the price tag and namesake of the creator buzzes my curiosity. anyone had a go at it yet?
  6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I have the OC-2 and don't notice any loss of tone when it's off. It can struggle sometimes when you hits the low notes on the A string but it is a cheap pedal and for what I want it workd just fine.
  7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've tried the boss, and talked to some players on other units, but I went with the EBS. I've got an earlier model, I hear the latter ones (black label) are better but mine tracks clean to the low G on the E string, no noise, and can keep up with me on Teentown so there are no speed glitchs. It's a cool little box
    Steve B
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the EBS is cool, but I've had great results with using the octave modes on the Deep Impact and Digitech Bass Synth Wah pedals.
    The Digitech is the best tracking octaver I've heard, it's a bargain at $80.
  9. If you can find an Akai UniBass it does exactly what you are looking for and it also has a built in distortion for the octave. Saddly it is out of production and kinda hard to find and I am sure there are several threads on the UniBass and the whole Akai thing.

The ElectroHarmonix POG looks interesting but I have only read about it no hands on yet but there is a thread going on the POG.
  10. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    i went to a slew of NYC shops today and the only one that had a POG had one that wouldn't power up...I don't know what that says for the unit's reliability being how new they are to the market, but they sure are hard to come by in your local shop...