Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave Pedal???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lookjojoisplaid, Feb 22, 2006.

1. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Hey so on my pedal board i have the Boss OC-3 which is great for whenever i need just bigger sound with more bass.

But what i wanna know is who runs the lower octive to thier amp and who runs it to the the house Mix? If you think one way is better than the other tel me why

2. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    you guys are awsome thanks for helping me so much!!!

3. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    No see im kidding no one has helped me

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You gotta wait more than 15 minutes.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Considering many are on the East Coast, they're either still at work or on their way home. Anybody who's farther west on here is likely surfing at work.

Be patient young grasshopper.

6. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    hahah its alctually been more like 12 hours.

I have never had a problem of having to wait to get information from this place. You really dont have to wait more than an hour to get good advice normally.

7. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm not sure that I understand, but I run mine to the amp and send the di out of the amp to the house...so its going to both. This way is better for me because I can hear the effect onstage and the crowd can hear the effect in the house.

Hope this helps.

8. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    no this isnt what im talking about on the OC-3 there are two out puts on the left side of the unit one is direct out and the other is output (mono). If you run a cable from each of the inputs at the same time into separate amps only the true un-effected bass will come through one amp and the other amp will only produce the actually effect being the lower octive.

Get it???

So my question again is how many people run one cable to thier amp for the uneffected bass sound and then another cable to the PA or house mix for the lower octive effect? And who just runs everything right into one amp?? And if anybody knows of any disadavntages or advantages to doing this.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It sounds pointless to me.
    You need to hear your octave as much as the audience does.
    A bass amp can handles low, so can a PA.
    What you could do is send the octave to the end of the effect chain and direct signal through the rest of the chain, to preserve clarity and punch.
    But before going into the DI, put everything back together.

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    It makes absolutely no sense to me...why would you want to hear one octave note while the audience here's another? You should hear the same thing that the audience hears. I can't see any possible advantages to doing this.

11. i don't have an octave pedal, but since you need an answer NOW, that is it...anyways, i wouldn't send the octave to the house mix, because you don't know how it sounds then...you can guess, but you'll never know unless you stand in front of the PA speakers

12. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Are you sure this is correct? Isn't one output (direct) - dry bass, and the other output (mono) - wet? The mono output you can change the amount of wet/dryness by the effect blend knob. Therefore you could have one clean, + one clean, or + one full wet, or + one clean/wet blended signal, depending on your tastes.

Theoretically you could run either output to whatever amp you wanted to. I don't know the advantage of running just the effect, although it would give you more of a synth sound. Your notes would have problems tracking and such in lower registers, so that could cause a problem in a coherent bassline.

It would probably help people trying to help you, if you could explain what you were going for, instead of just a general question. IE: I'm looking for a synth sound, so if I ran the effects only to the board, would that work? I'm looking to split my signal onstage because I have 2 amps, and I like the sound of just the lower octave in a separate amp, would that work?

13. I use it by running the entire signal, input plus effected with octave, to the amp input. Then a DI out of the amp.

That way the audience and I both hear the octave effect during those passages where I use it.