Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave Pedals and their tracking

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by twangchief, Apr 27, 2005.

1. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I've tried Boss OC-3, Digitech Synth Wah and MXR M-88 and all don't seem to track well or have any respectable sustain. Has anyone concluded that the tracking of these effects is in some way a function of the bass guitar string balance and output? I haven't tried my compressor before the octave pedal yet but that has been suggested on this forum.

Thanky, Thanky

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A compressor can help a lot, especially if your bass has a weak output.
    The MXR has remarkable tracking. If you have issues the problem might not be the pedal.
    Also, octavers aren't meant to be used with the lowest notes.

3. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I'm actually noticing these problems on the D and G string fretted notes. I have active EMG's in all of my basses.

I'm just wondering if a more expensive (better?) octave would be worth my investment.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    If tracking is the issue look at the EBS or the Akai Unibass. I have an old EBS (gray Label) and it tracks excellent down to the low G on the E string, but it is not polyphonic (one note at a time only), But I can't play faster then it will track.

5. Everybody is saying that the EBS isnt polyphonic, but on the website on some of the soundclips, the person demonstrating the unit does some chording and what not, and the octabass seems to work with it. Whats up with that? I've definately got my eye on this pedal, but am holding out for a deal on it, I cant afford the 200+ right now.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I have the m-88 as well and got really upset at the tracking. What i did was set the bridge pup on my jbass all the way up and my neck down, like that really ballsy geddy lee tone and it was a little better. now i use it for more of a synthy sound. If you're trying for a nu-metal brown note, check out th EHX POG. They just posted the demo on EHX.com, it tracks perfectly, but its pricey so i won't be reviewing it anytime soon. www.ehx.com :bawl:

7. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Octabass pedal from EBS is polyphonic. Gray label was not.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've owned the ebs and digitech. I honestly believe the digitech to be a better tracking octave pedal. I wasn't impressed with the MXR.

TRiggering levels definitely come into it, so experiment with that.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm itching to try the POG, but other than that I only had experience with the MXR. With passive basses, I felt it worked great.

10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Just in case anybody here needs more GAS - Rastop's octave box is probably the best tracking on the planet. He claims it tracks down to an open E :cool: Of course it's not cheap, but it also has an octave up/fuzz and some weird 4ths below too.

http://www.rastopdesigns.com/effects.htm

11. He's got some cool stuff, but for that kind of cash I'd rather take my chances on a POG.

12. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    ...that I must just blow as a bass player! I play too many dud notes and other peculiar sounds when I play that just screws up a mono octave pedal.

Last evening I took my MXR to the local music store that has the Digitech Synth Wah and the Boss OC-3. The OC-3 tracked the best for me when on its poly setting. I guess I don't want a octave pedal that badly to change my style or technique of playing.

MXR M-88 to be sold soon.

13. powerslave

powerslave Guest

Feb 24, 2005
    United States
    i just got an OC3 off ebay for 60 bucks and am very happy with it, good to hear someone else who has tried them all (in the same respective price range) and likes this one, i wasn't impressed with digitech or MXR either. :cool:

14. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    :bawl:
    I can't seem to get any of these octave pedals to track well!! They seem to track well when I'm playing fast, short notes but they warble on the sustained notes. I using a compressor before the Octabass. :confused: I guess they're not my cup of tea.

Therefore, my Octabass to be sold soon. :(

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Ever think of going with a rack unit rather than a pedal?

16. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I just may start looking. Any reccomendations?

17. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I use the Digitech Bass Harmony Machine as a rack octaver and love it. It does lots more than just octaves, but I only use it for octave down and octave down + octave up. They're discontinued but you see them on ebay once in awhile.

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  19. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA