Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave pedals big and small...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Feb 22, 2006.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Trying to pick an octave pedal and I've started coming up with too many choices.

My number one would be the POG. Tracks really well, doesn't kill bass tone, lots of cool options...but very spendy. Way more than I wanted to put out for a pedal right now, but I'm still tempted.

EBS Octabass. Supposed to be the king of bare bones octave pedals. The one I tried had some tracking problems and gave me some crappy signals at times though, and I'm concerned about throwing down a hefty some of money for it if it isn't THAT much better than the cheaper models.

Boss OC3. Thought it tracked pretty well...but I was trying it at a loud Guitar Center through a guitar amp. Couldn't get a good gauge of its abilities. I've read that it has problems, but it is rather cheap compared to others and tempting for that reason.

Digitech Whammy. Mid-range in price, haven't had an opportunity to try it. How does it track? How does it sound for bass? Offers a whole hell of a lot of options for sounds to play with. How does it sound compared to the POG? Will it handle intervals and chords?

Digitech synth-thingy. Supposedly a good pedal. I had a bad experience at Sam Ash with it, but I think that their display pedal had been put through the ringer and was a bit out of sorts. Comes recommended from a few friends and is relatively inexpensive.

Anything else?

comments...suggestions...advice?

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    The sound filling possibilities of the POG are great, tracks well and can really freak out your keyboard player. I find that the 2nd octave isn't super useful (still fun) as it tends to sound cheesy.

One thing I love about my POG is something that I never even saw mentioned when I was doing research. If you crank the "input" slider you can get a really meaty (octave infused) distortion out of it. It has (at least in the short term) pushed me out of lust for a spendy distorition pedal.

The only other on your list I tried was the OC-3. It was ok, but frankly I learned that in most cases I had more desire for an up octave than a down one w/my 5 string.

3. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, that's part of the issue...flexibility. My current plans for the octave are to use it to generate a square-wave an octave below and playing up above the 12th fret to essentially create a mini-synth tone that I can then process. I got the idea from John Davis, a killer bass player that does amazing live drum n' bass stuff with Jojo Mayer and Squarepusher (he happens to also be a pretty killer jazz player too).
    But, aside from that, I'd like to have the octave up too. Reed Mathis from Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey uses a Whammy pedal to play an octave up into guitar territory during his soloes. I like the idea and would like to develop something similar for my own sound.
    The POG offers some other cool effects in addition to those and you can get some pretty whacked-out sounds with the detuned pitches. It's definitely ideal...but pricey.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    My experiences with the BSW have been very good. i even do double stops with it with no problems. I've had good results with the octave up and down functions of the Boss ME-50b multi effects also, which would be i nteh same price range as a nicer whammy or POG