Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave Pedals - which one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Starting my first thread on this forum - feels like I should go celebrate!

I've owned and tried the Boss OC-2 and the older EBS Octabass (grey version). I am now planning to upgrade, or at least get another one (I've sold the above pedals...), but I'd like some advice from my fellow bassmen (and women)!

How about the new Boss OC-3? Black Label EBS? Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplex? Other brands?

My main dislikes with the EBS was that the sound was a bit too "synthetic", and while the Boss had a cooler sound, the tracking was a little slow...

Any suggestions

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    DigiTech bass synth wah is the best tracking octave pedal I've ever heard. It's not sold as an octave pedal, but you can definitely use it for that with one of the modes.

You won't have the versatility of the new Octabass (the three modes), but I had an Octabass and never used those modes anyway.

3. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I agree. Great octaver and you can get some other "weird" sounds as well. A far superior synth pedal to the Boss SYB-3. Tracking is fantastic.

4. So it doesn't add any "synth" sound in the octave mode, except for the octave signal? I'd like to be able to "sneak" a bit of low-octave into the sound...

5. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    You can roll off all the synth sound if you want and are left with a pure octave.

Check out this thread for more info.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my deep impact synth pedal is great for octaves

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've heard of people using the Akai for that, but I've never tried. What are your settings like to get an octave sound? If you've tried the digitech how does the tracking compare?

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, please post settings.

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i got a digitech bass synth wah based on what i read on this forum, and i'm very pleased with it, its my first octave pedal, so i can't compare it, but it sounds nice even when i play chords up high to blend in that low stuff to make a warmer sounding passage, tracks superbly

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have the Akai and the Digitech. I much prefer the Digitech octave sound, but here's one patch I have for an octaver on the Akai. I think I got it on here a while ago, actually

Use preset sound #6
    note off: 5
    note on: 5
    attack : 5
    decay : 5
    envelope depth: 5
    dynamics: 5
    cutoff: 3
    resonance: 1
    balance: 1
    level: 5

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, guys, this may be it. it did get the settings from TB. it is patch #6. i will take a look at it when i get a chance. i'm busy all week until sunday - maybe then i can get to it.

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Now if I understand correctly.... w/ the Digitech you can only add the sub to the dry signal. Is this true? or is the blend knob more like the Akai where you're essentially taking the dry signal out once you turn past 50%. - At it's furthest point it's all synth.

Does anyone know what I mean?

I guess the question is "With the Digitech, is it always a full on dry signal w/ varying levels of sub?"

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes