Octave pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oldguy69, May 31, 2018.

1. Oldguy69

Oldguy69

Feb 20, 2018
    Hey so I'm looking for, I think, an octave pedal (or it might be some other type of effects pedal, idk), that has the bass play a low octave and the high octave at the same time.

Thanks

2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    EHX POG or TC SubNup, prob many man others, but those two are plentiful.

3. Oldguy69

Oldguy69

Feb 20, 2018
    Thanks man much appreciated

4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    If you are looking for both octave up and down, then the aforementioned EHX Pog or Tc sub-n-up are probably your best choices since you would need to go digital for a nice clean octave up.

For octave down, there are some amazing analog options out there that I think sound much better than the digital ones. But they can’t do a clean octave up.

Never been a big fan of octave up on bass anyway. It’s cool on its own but the second you are in a band setting, you are just crossing over into someone else’s frequency range. It’s kinda the same with octave down on guitar.

5. Oldguy69

Oldguy69

Feb 20, 2018
    Well I'm in a band as a drummer and the only other instrument is a bass. So having that octave up with a gnarly distortion would be fresh. I appreciate the recommendations.

6. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

EHX Pog 2 is the way to go; lots of flexibility

7. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    EHX PITCHFORK!

Bassist30 likes this.
  8. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I agree with this, though of course analog octavers are only monophonic as well. But they have a really great classic sound that is hard to beat. The EHX Multiplexer is pretty solid, and the Eleca Hurricane is a dirt cheap china clone.

Check out the EQD Tentacle, it's a strange analog octave up. Pretty expensive but cool, you could snag it and a Multiplexer/clone for about the price of a TC Sub n Up. The TC pedal would be more versatile being digital and polyphonic, but analog octaves sound much better IMO. Anyways something worth considering at least. Not sure how well the Tentacle and Multiplexer would stack but it could be really cool, the Multiplexer has a blend anyways so it should work.

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Let’s be clear though - the octave up on the tentacle is like the classic Dan Armstrong Green Ringer. It’s an analog octave up but it sounds more like an interesting distortion than anything that people would think of as an octave up. It’s the sort of octave that is added to octave fuzzes.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It depends on what you want really. But the EHX POG2 or mini POG will get you there. Those are polyphonic though. Digital. Which isnt bad. They are just their own thing. Then you have the OC2 type, monophonic that are analogue that sound totally different. But the POG will def give you octave up and down at the time. Its a sound all its own.

I like the BWhammy personally for this stuff. All kinds of octave options. I use the +1 octave with my clean a lot.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  11. If you’re wanting to do the royal blood type of thing check out this guy’s YouTube channel he does it a bunch of different way. This video is probably the simplest