Octave Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StaggerLee, Mar 9, 2021.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee

Mar 7, 2021
    I'm in the market for an octave pedal. MXR seems like they have all their pedals down pat but I'm also looking at Aguilar's analog octamizer.. haven't heard one in person but it seems like it might be the most organic of them all.

2. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Be kind. Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    MXR was not easy to dial in for me.
    I sold it, others love it. YMMV.

coyote1 likes this.
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Personally I would go for the Boss OC-5 More Versatile and Great sound.

4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

I used an MXR Bass Octave Deluxe for lots and lots of years and really liked it....until I bought my Boss OC-5.

Every pedal is a "personal taste" kind of thing. The MXR is no slouch but the Boss OC-5 is that good.

Just my $.02 as usual.

5. There are a staggering number of great octave pedals to choose from these days, if you will forgive me, just about every pedal maker offers one or more to choose from. MXR offers several good choices but not my flavor.
    I'd suggest taking a look at the Source Audio Spectrum or C4
    Source Audio Home Page

Winton, DrMole and Goatrope like this.
  6. ollimac73

ollimac73

Mar 14, 2020
    I am in the same boat: looking for an octaver to link later on with a delay/reverb.
    So far, I loved to sound and simplicity of:
    Electro Harmonix Micro POG

Grizelda100 and guitarflinger like this.
  7. danbones

danbones

Sep 24, 2017
    Los Angeles
    i’ve got an MXR sub machine that I fell in love with at a shop, and have since had the hardest time taming it. If i was playing doom or sludge, it would probably never come off my board though. i like it better on guitar, but i never have a use for the guitar tones i get with it. I’m really really tempted to buy a Digitech Ricochet, even though it’s not a proper octave pedal.

Anyway, i’m also curious as to what folks love for octave pedals.

The_Meatwagon likes this.
  8. Swamp_Ronin

Swamp_Ronin

Jan 15, 2021
    Portland, OR
    +1 OC-5

Grizelda100 and King Weapon like this.
  9. Jeff Hughes

Jeff Hughes

May 3, 2020
    I enjoy the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe. Mid boost is nice.

oren and knumbskull like this.
  10. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    My favorite analog octave pedals have been the MXR vintage bass octave and the Aguilar Octamizer. The MXR is pretty straightforward, sounds great, and is very small. The Octamizer sounds huge, and both the octave signal and the clean signal have filters to help sculpt the entire tone which may be something you're interested in.

11. Octaver is my favourite and most frequently used effect. I've been very happy with the MXR BOD so far, but this thread is making me curious about the OC-5!

Phil60 and jam.majors like this.
  12. BottomFeed

BottomFeed

Jan 22, 2009
    UK
    Not had a lot of experience with many octave pedals but perhaps that's a sign that the ones I have had & used did the job so well that I didn't need to keep searching for 'that sound'
    EBS octabass was on my board for many years ...I still have it but in the last few years I needed a smaller footprint board & after some research, ended up with the simple but effective markbass raw series octaver..
    91+Ls5W96wL._AC_SL1500_.jpg unnamed.png

13. Didn't like the mxr or the boss. They couldn't hold a candle to the ebs octabass.

Bad tracking and a poor sound

BottomFeed and AlexanderB like this.
  14. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    fishdreams likes this.
  15. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
    Boss was usually the leader with tracking type effects.

otherwise to rid tracking errors would be pitch shifting

and again usually just go Boss with pitch shifters

lowendrachel likes this.
  16. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    The EBS was my go-to for years. The C4 knocked it off my board. Not only does it beat octaver pedals at their own game (my 2¢) , but that’s just scratching the surface of its potential. Plus, saves a bunch of real estate.

But if you’re resigned to keeping it simple, EBS will get you there.

marmadaddy, DrMole and AlexanderB like this.
  17. TC Sub'n'Up can't be beat for price, sound, and versatility (and size if you get the Mini)

18. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    went from using the sub n up mini, to now using the OC-5, it's nice being able to switch from the "vintage" oc-2 ish sound to the poly mode, which brings in clarity, tracking, and volume

lowendrachel, Harper and King Weapon like this.
  19. Dynomuttasaurus

Dynomuttasaurus

Jul 23, 2016
    Milwaukee
    I've really been enjoying the killer tones coming out of the Hotone Skyline Octave. Honestly, I think I found my sound with this and the Tech 21 dUg preamp. Just killer.
    hot-octa_1.jpg

20. OC-5 is really good, cheap, and easy to find. I find myself leaving it on all the time with really subtle settings when I'm practicing playing over changes.

King Weapon likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021