Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave Pedals ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PikinANSlaPin, Jan 10, 2002.

1. I'm lookin for what I've been told to be an " octave pedal " which can make my 4 string sound like a 5 , anyone know anything about these?

2. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    Try the ebs octabass, is one of the best octave pedals i'v evere heard.

3. I just got the ebs octabass and it sounds great.

One thing you may want to know is most octave pedals, including the octabass, don't track very well, if at all, past the open A string. A lot of them don't track very well past the C or D as well.

4. The EBS bass octave is a relly good octave pedal, it has a very different sound to it; very droning and wet, with almost bell like tones. I need to suggest also the Mutron octave divider if you can find one, I got a chance to try one out. Wow the sound when using that stablizer switch was like being hit over the head with an inner tube. It has a very bouncing almost rubbery sound to it, perfect for leading into envelope filters. If you want to get a drier sound the MXR Bass Octave has a very dry, fat, growling sound to it and is easier to apply then more wet sounding octaves but it only goes octaves bellow.

...But if you want your 4 to sound like a 5 I suggest a pitchshifter, the Digitech Whammy has to be one of the best pitchshifters out there in a pedal.

5. an octave pedal wont make your four sound like a five. an octave pedal will produce a note one octave lower (or sometime two lower or one highter etc) while also producing the true note you play. it makes you have a thicker sound but i truly dont find it very usable at all especially since most track very poorly. You may want to look into a pitch shifter (as i am) such as the digitech whammy big feet mentioned. This allows you to raise or lower your note to what you desire and could be used to lower your e to sound like a b on a 5 string.

6. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Bigfeet, Upon searching for opinions on the Mutron Octave divider I found these two little gems from yourself. The second one is encouraging (as I'm looking for an octave pedal to run into my Q-tron for synthy stuff) but I'm a little worried by the reference to a frequency analyser. That's not the effect I want at all! Is that just with the "ringer" switch on or wot? It would be much appreciated if you could expand on this! Also how doe it compare to the boss OC-2 (for the above function?)

Fank u very much!!!!!

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    I've thought of using an octave pedal to hit the low D, C and B and comparing that to the BEAD tuning on one of my two p-bass - it sure would be simpler for people --no drop-D tuning etc.
    - but I wonder how the lowering octave really is (?) - Boss probably makes an octave pedal for guitars, but what might that do -- it can take a B4 down to a B3 (a semitone below a middle C which is C4), but will it really get a decent C1 from your C2, or a B1 down to B0 (open low B string)??

8. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    .....Oh, and what is the switch labelled "bass only" for? Does it disengage the original input sound and only output the effect?

9. The bass only switch disengages all other frequencies; I don't compare it with any other octave. It's more of an oscillator then an octave. It really is the ultimate synth octave but it doesn’t sound very organic, like the boss octave.

10. i've tried the Octabass.. but just like the boss octaver pedal it has 1 very annoying problem

On the lower notes, it loses track after 2 sec...

i've discovered that my Boss SYB-3 bass synthesizer is capable of acting as a VERY good octaver that never loses track ! :D

it can do a sawtooth, but one octave lower.. if you turn the filters way down.. it doesn't play the sawtooth ( or at least it's inaudible ), but it DOES still do the octaving thingy..

and it never loses track ! it's perfect.

11. My EBS tracks very well...but I have heard nothing but praise for the old Musitronics box. The "bass only" knob is very dub freindly I've heard (I hear everything dub you know...)

[​IMG]

12. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    great discussion . . .

so is that what the OC-2 and the "bass only" switch of the Mutron Octave Divider exactly do ??
    hey -- to nail a couple low D notes with regular tuning would be nice even if the tone gets beat up some/a little -
    but how fast can I switch back (as in off) ?
    - that is gonna be something to be extra important here with an effect which is mostly gonna be off !