Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave Time!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jucas, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Hey everyone,

So I unfortunately had to put the bass down for a while, but picked it up again recently. I was looking to grab an octave pedal as i miss my old one.

For octaves, I had an mxr m-88, but traded it for a few pedals that were more important at the time... And so now, I was looking at the same thing ($90) the pog ($324) or the EBS octabass ($???).

A couple questions... How does the pog work for the bass? I'm not gonna use it for enough chords to justify an extra 250, but i guess it'd be kinda cool to have the extra octaves.

And, where can I find some prices or where to buy (possibly online) and info on the EBS? (also, whats the deal withthe three modes) Does anyone have experience with the mxr or EBS that might sway me one way or the other? (don't really like the oc-2, never heard the 3) I enjoyed my MXR, but looking online, the EBS is looking pretty impressive and the mxr is rarely recomended or mentioned. I've looked locally, and can't find anything EBS related, so any experience would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help... If you want to know what I'm doing, I'll elaborate, but right now I was just looking for a few opinions to think aobut.

-Chris

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Having only ever tried the oc-2 other than my mxr, I can only comment on the attributes of the mxr m-88.

It's got a real organic sound, but if you dime the octave and keep the dry knob at 12 oclock+overdrive+chorus, you can get some groovy synth tones. I use it to just beef up my sound a little bit, or go full on both the dry and octave so i can harmonise with myself. But it doesn't track so well on my E string below the G/G# area.

However, I just checked out the EBS Website, and that is freakin sweet. However, I'm a play before I pay kinda guy and I wouldn't spend that much on a pedal without playing it with my own basses first (passive Js). And I can't find a price except for harmony central reviews (between US$120 and 220).

I think the POG would be cool, but wholly unnecessary.

Long story short, had I known about the octabass and been able to try it, I would have gotten it since I payed $130 for my mxr anyway. What it comes down to is how they sound with your instruments. But the only other octaver i've heard that tracks as well down low besides the EBS is the built-in unit of an Ashdown EVOII.

Hope this helps,
    Chris