Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

octave up/bass whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by olps, Feb 27, 2003.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Two related questions: are there any pedals made for bass, or that will work for bass that will act as an octave-upper? Lastly, besides the Digitech bass whammy (no longer made) are there any bass pedals, or ones that will work on bass, that are similar to the Digitech? Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's the Boss PS-5, it'll do up to +2 octaves. You can also use a Trelemo Arm effect on it to make the sound rise a preset amount when used.

You can also attach an expression pedal to it, don't know for sure if that can make it be used like a whammy but I'd imagine so. Now if Boss would put manuals online, you'd be able to tell for sure.

I had one of these, was more interested in it for -1 and -2 real time pitch shifting. Never really used the + features.

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I've heard of teh boss one. My only problem with that is that I'd prefer something with an expression pedal, like the digitech. How's teh track9ing on teh boss ps-5? Since it's a guitar pedal, how does it control the lower frequencies of a bass? Thanks.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Like I say, I didn't mess around too much with the up shifting stuff you're interested in. What I heard was good, and the -12 tracking was good as well so you could use it as an octaver pedal also. It seemed to have no problems with the bass freqs.

The -1 shifting wasn't too hot on the bass though, which is the main reason I got rid of it.

I couldn't give you a full in depth review of the unit, just suggesting one you might want to try out.

5. doctorfinger

doctorfinger

Jan 31, 2003
    USA
    I own this thing and it kicks ass. It is totally versatile. I liked the electro harmonix bass synth but I didn't want to screw with changing those faders and trying to remember settings.

however!!! whammey isn't always on. it can misinterpret notes... but this one is better than the guitar one. at least for bass.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The only real good octave upper for bass is the Akai UniBass, IMHO.
    It's a little expensive for a one trick pony, but it's a marvellous box.

[​IMG]

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah the unibass is a good one, tracks well and everything. And you can split the octave and send to a guitar amp...

8. I really need to get a chance to sit down at a local store and spend a lot of time with that Boss unit. I would kill for an original whammy or something that works like that. I have tried the new whammys over and over again and really wish they actually worked... oh well.. i might just have to shell out the 300-400 for the WH-1...

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This man speaks the truth. I have one of these and it is amazing. Tracks down to my low B practicaly flawlessly.

For what its worth, I had a Bass Whammy and it didn't track as well or sound nearly as good as the AKAI (for the "octave up" function).

Pearl, at one time, also made a octaver that would go 1 up as well as 2 down but it had the same problem all "octavers" seem to have: it wouldn't track worth crap below C on your A string.