Octave Up Fuzz for Note Doubling and Guitar "Sim"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I did some searching but didn't get anything uber specific.

Im looking for something to kick in and basically have an octave chord type thing, without the insane need to stretch or play more than one string/note :p :oops:

Im also looking to have it be able to sim a guitar type sound, so bass loss on the octave is a plus.

I know of the Katanasound Superfuzz and its mix knob, and I think the Battering Ram might be in the running with its parallel OD (to keep the low end with a lowish drive setting, kill low by setting at zero OD vol?) and fuzz (with an octave switch IIRC)

2. Akai Unibass - a little digital sounding, but i had one for a while and it does exactly what you want. Sure they're discontinued, but they've not reached the insane prices that the deep impact has reached.

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/akai/unibass

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hmm.... I'd be looking for something more in-production. Unless I can get one here on TB.

4. I quite liked the Ottava Magus clip I heard, albeit it was on the skinny six...:meh:

5. Fishyfan

Fishyfan

Jul 8, 2009
    This. I love mine. I never use it, though that could change.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The Unibass is perfect for this purpose.

7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    And they come up occasionally on here/ebay for reasonable prices.

8. they pop up semi-often on ebay, saw one on there for £65 the other day, that £20 less than what mine cost new. Some want to charge like £150 for it, but in the end the market dictates what something is worth, and its Unibass is hardly sought after.

None the less, its a very good octave pedal, has tonnes of options (with the 2nd foot switch you can cut your original tone completely out, just giving a 'guitar' tone, or add a 5th above or a 4th below the octave sound => power chord!!. I used to love playing ramones songs with it. The tracking is excellent but it is prettymuch monophonic.

9. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the unibass is made for this. i use my digitech whammy for this, and it works great.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Battering Ram will do as you described. You already own 50 Wounded Paw pedals, might as well go all the way. :D

I'll post some clips in a bit, and by in a bit I mean probably tomorrow.

11. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    Yea, the Whammy on +2 oct gets it done pretty well.

12. I use a HOG for guitar sim. May be a bit digital overkill, but one of the *OG's may be your ticket. The key for me has always been to run the octave up as its' own parallel channel with its' own fuzz effects. Or go analog overkill and get a BMS and only use the +1 and squarewave sliders. I kind of didn't read the OP very well, sorry.

13. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Micro Pog with distortion and a blender.

14. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The Octron's octave up is a fuzz. The POG/HOG/POG2/Micro POG will do this, as well as the Whammy and all its incarnations, and the PitchFactor for that and a whole lot more.

15. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Get a unibass... I am buying my second one really soon.

Like an idiot, I sold the first one...

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Well, I've owned 2 Attack Goats and have a passive and active mixer from him. Hardly 50 :p Just cus he makes good stuff LOL.

I've watched grygrx's demo like 20 times, but he never sets the od's level to off to demo just the fuzz. Still gives me major GAS tho :oops:

17. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Doesn't the EHX Bass Micro Synth do an octave up + a square wave? That seems like it should be able to mimic a distorted/fuzz guitar.

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Oh, and I should prolly mention that I would want it to have good "tracking" on a downtuned B string.

Also, from what I remember of the MicroPOG, the octave up was more "organy" sounding that what I'd want.

19. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    +1

The Unibass is so cool.

BTW, last time I checked people were asking insane prices for a Unibass.

I want a Unibass too... or else a microPOG (just octave up mode) + Devi Ever BIT or Proco RAT might sound cool.
    Don't know, gonna try that some day. :)

20. Yeah, you really do have to put a distortion after the POG/HOG to get it to really sound like a guitar. That was the best way I've done it. I've never heard any of the octave up fuzzes sound anything like a guitar. But my POG/HOG + Turbo Rat setup was the best I've heard; but that's two pedals, necessitating either a loop or an ABY switch and a second amp.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021