Octave Up Fuzz for Note Doubling and Guitar "Sim"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    The best octave up I've heard comes from the pitchfactor by a mile. Not cheap, large, and you would have to add fuzz separately, but it sounds like this is the sound quality and tracking you are looking for.

2. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Is it possible to output the octave up and the dry signal separately so you can add fuzz to the upper octave only?

3. davedamage

davedamage Hit string, go boom.

Oct 16, 2006
    Milwaukee area
  4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks for the link :D Kindof hoping that the other guy can't buy it :(

5. AleemRadunzel

AleemRadunzel

Jul 8, 2009
    Romford
    go for the whammy! lol its the easy route.. when you put in dry + oct Up harmony setting then your bass is pretty well bypassed why the wet can be send to distortiion source.

its fun for lightning bolt escapades
    :)

6. Rowka

Rowka

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Unibass really is perfect for this.
    I use it like this:

Bass-> Unibass
    Bass passes through to bass amp.
    Effect outputs to guitar amp or pod (leave the distortion off on the Unibass).

By splitting the effect signal (octave up plus 5th) to a guit rig, it is very convincing.

7. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm bumping this one cause I'm really GASsing for the same thing Daniel is/was after.

You couldn't buy it either... and I was too late.
    I was going to buy it but a fellow TBer snatched it.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a Unibass, but in the meantime I want to know what the "modern" alternatives are.

my goal/needs:

- octave up (octave up and octave up +5th would also be nice, but not really a deal breaker)
    - digital sounding lead tones, it may really lose my original bass tone (pedal doesn't have to be digital, analog that can get close would also be fine)
    - distortion... guitar distortion like or synth lead, or a mix between the two

The lead (digital) synthesizer sound from power metal is what I'm after. (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish,...)

I was thinking about a EHX HOG... but that might be too expensive for what I'm going to use it.
    I'm not that familiar with the HOG...
    Can it produce those synthesizer lead tones I'm after?
    I guess not since the HOG is analog... I'm looking for unorganic digital tones.
    Also, does the HOG provide a sort of drive/distortion effect?

I have the (big) POG. And I like the octave up only... but I'm using the POG for organ emulation, for only octave up it would be overkill. (Also I rather prefer 2 pedals instead of changing settings on one pedal.)

An extra MicroPOG maybe... setting so it only provides the octave up signal.
    In combination with a distortion unit after it.
    Either a MetalZone wich I already have and I find a good distorted guitar simulator without octave up already.
    Or a Devi Ever BIT Legend of Fuzz, which judging by soundclips is more in the digital synthesizer emulating realm.

Or a BOSS PS-5 pitchshifter.
    I have no experience with this.
    What are the possibilities with this one?
    How many pitchshifted signals can I have?
    Can I have octave up + another?

Please, any tips you can give me before I'm going to try one what... how to set it up.
    Been looking at the pedal on the BOSS site but it all confuses me.

The PS-5 seems an obvious choice. (In combination with the Metalzone.)
    I like BOSS pedals.
    Maybe even an LS-2 with in one loop a PS-5 and MT-2 and in the other loop a SansAmp BDDI (as stompbox, not as preamp).

8. Hehe the HOG is definitely digital-- if you've heard a micropog or POG, you've basically heard the HOG, though it has a few killer options on it that set it apart (I love the hold/gliss mode more than anything.. so much fun)... though I wish it could detune like your POG.

Great pedal, though I'm not familiar with the tones you're looking for. You can stack octaves/5ths/etc, play simple chords, great tracking, lowpass filter, you can over load the circuit with the input gain to add distortion, but it does not have a distortion 'mode'.

If you're seriously thinking about getting the HOG and want to hear something in particular, I'd be happy to make you a clip.

*edit* I'm not sure how important the detune function is for your organ emulation, but you could save a little money... but not any space unfortunately hahaha.. by selling your POG and getting a HOG+preset controller; you could have guitar and organ emulation presets a footswitch away. If I remember correctly you use rotary emulation instead chorus? Maybe switch to chorus to get the detuning of the HOG..

9. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    LOL, didn't realize the HOG was digital. :scowl:

I don't need the detune. I don't use it on my POG, or if I do I use it just slightly.
    I'll be keeping the POG just for organ emulating.

You don't need to go through the hassle of recording a soundclip just for me. :)
    But if you are bored and have nothing to do:
    All pitchshifting sliders to zero (even the original) except octave +1 fully open and octave +1 +5TH at about 80%.

I am not that familiar with enveloppe and filter controls. I don't know if I can use that.

So maybe the HOG will be overkill for what I want to use it.

But, that doesn't mean it's not on my shortlist. :D

I heard soundsamples of it in expression mode octave bend, with expression pedal. And I thought it sounded so cool.
    Much like how cool my POG sounds only weirder effects.

Hey, maybe with a preset controller it can replace my POG.

Damn, GAS... :scowl:

10. That's what I'm sayin! :D If you're not using the detune, then I think the HOG+preset controller is the perfect fit for your application; you can sell the POG and put the money towards the HOG; The preset controller is the same size as the POG, but considerably cheaper and will provide you more on-the-fly versatility as you will be able to cover all the functions of the POG that you're currently using, plus the extra HOG functions, and you can switch through presets of organ emulation, guitar or synth emulation, glissandoing whale calls, etc.

The envelope controls will give you an even more authentic organ emulation, as you can control the attack and decay of the high and low octaves seperately; with an exp pedal in the glissando mode and volume modes you can glide seamlessly between notes with no attack.. or have full attack on the lows and then slowly highs swell in, slightly delayed attack on highs and then a slow swell of lows in the background, etc.. good stuff!

I'll make a couple clips for you sometime in the next couple days. For starters, here's a cheesy guitar emulating clip I made a while back for a similar thread; im a relatively new player so clips of even 6+ months ago are kind of embarrassing to post haha... oh well here ya go, the 'guitar' part is +1oct, +1 1/5, +2 with the HOG into an English Muffn and I do fast pitch bends at the end;

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7280924 (the bass intro is way too long w.t.h..) :smug:

11. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    WOW. :eek:

Thanks man. :hyper: Now the HOG is definately on top of my list. (I can afford it so no problem there. And no need to get rid of my POG.)

That is like the sounds I'm after. :)
    Lead synth + guitar sim mixed. Almost spot on that soundclip.

It was very nice man.

Another question: does it track as well as the POG? If you per chance know.

I play mainly fretless and some tracking pedals can't follow my fast fretless playing.

Maybe I should learn to play in tune. :ninja:

For distortion I would go another route.
    I think like what you did in that soundclip, but then combined with a Devi Ever BIT it would be exactly what I need.

The only thing that worries me now is that I'm going to need a bigger board.

12. I play almost exclusively fretless and my HOG tracks perfectly, as long as I am playing solid. In the past when I've played really fast I thought it wasn't tracking well, but later I came to realize that I was playing fast, but not well:bag:. When I play fast and well it does all right.

13. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Thanks. :)

BTW, I saw the demo video on the EHX website (on guitar) and I really think that the HOG would be a thing for me.

And I think I can even find use for the envellope control and filter.

14. It is an amazing pedal. You can get good sounds out of it immediately, but it has a steep learning curve with all it has to offer. Don't be surprised if a year down the road you bump into something that makes you say, 'what the heck, why didn't I think of THAT before.' Then you will bask in its' awesomeness.

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Cool bumpage.

Ya, I wasn't able to get the unibass, and ya, octave up on the GT10B is as digital/organ sounding as the POG. But, when its combined with my dry signal and raped by a high gain fuzz it sounds pretty cool. I might try setting up an actual octave shift, but I like the way the fuzzes break up on the low strings so I just use the GT10Bs EQ to kill the lows.

16. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I found some more soundclips on TalkBass WIKI.
    Yours. :)

Amazing stuff.

There was one sample when it almost sounded like a Celtic flute. :eek:
    I was very impressed. I can use that.

So this thing is has more possibilities then I first figured.

Ah... GAS... and budget is tight. :atoz:
    I have 2 basses on my GAS list. I need to prioritize.

I had been thinking about the GT10B also... but not serious. I won't likely go back to a multi.

But still I'm curious.

What are the pitch-shifting possibilities? Does it has the functions of the PS-5?

Also, how are the delays, and does it have rotary speaker effect?

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'm using my HOG for pretty much exactly what you're looking for. The only thing I wish it had was the detune like the POG, but all the other features far outweigh the desire for detune. It definitely takes some time to fully understand, I kind of got set in my ways and found a bunch of settings I like/use frequently and haven't explored much since then. I actually bought it off of my guitarist who sold it out of frustration with trying to find settings he could use. That said, my foot controller holds settings for:
    multiple octaves (all 7)
    dry +1 (with a blend of the -2, -1 for a little thickness)
    attack delay (which can cop a nice bowed strings type sound when set right)
    rhythm guitar (+1, +1.5, +2, and a few higher and lower slightly blended)
    freeze/hold (great with the exp pedal for sliding in organ sounds)
    and a wah/filter sound which I don't really use a whole lot any more.

The digital-ness of the pedal is very evident when doing the multiple octaves stuff, so for the rhythm guitar and octave settings I usually put a fuzz or distortion after it to trim some of the harshness.

The only clips I have using it are in this video. The song starts with a looped tapping part using the attack delay setting and then ends with the organ freeze stuff. The playing is pretty messy and I think I forget to shut off a pedal at one point, but whatever.

18. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Now you're just adding to my GAS. :scowl:

I don't exactly know how a freeze function works. (And currently am on a pc without audio, so can't listen to the YT video.)

But, I'm trying to master Toccata et Fuga... and I think it can come in handy when doing the "bass" chords and then playing the melody over it.
    I think.

Eitherway, it all sounds interesting.

19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Honestly, I haven't gotten too much into the pitch shifting stuff, and I just have the pitch bend set to a constant octave up, mixed with clean signal. Tracking is awesome tho.

The thing to remember is that you can literally assign any variable to an exp pedal, as well as the min's and max's for that variable. I haven't looked at what a PS-5 can do, but I might and try to achieve stuff with the GT-10B.

The delays are awesome. I like the full range digital type, but there are a tonne of different ones. Delay time is only 3.4 seconds no matter what type of delay. All have a high-cut var, so even the digital ones can sound a little analogish.

There is a rotary sim too. Its got 2 speeds as well as speed up/down selection for when you switch from slow to fast and back again.

20. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I've got to test one out next time I'm in the store.

I really liked the GT-6B, but it does not have the effects I need.

I searched for a list of effects of the GT-10B online, but I can't find anything.

And... to get back on topic...
    Can you get out of the GT-10B what the Unibass does.
    I know you like seperate dirt stomboxes. But what if you set the GT-10B to octave up and after that the model of the Metal Zone (which I assume it has).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021