Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave up fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JehuJava, Aug 17, 2005.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I recently added a Menatone Chawbox to my pedal board. It's a fuzz (I think) that adds the higher octave. I run it through my side chain effects loop so I can blend it with the original bass sound. My goal is to fatten up the heavy parts of songs as we only have one guitar player. So far I think I dig it (not that I know what it sounds like in the audience).

Anyone else ever try this?

Anyone else know of other good for bass octave up distortion boxes?

Alan

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    probably the dano french toast

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Rastop's bass super divider has a wicked Octafuzz effect (among other things) - think Hendrix.

4. endlessbassic

endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    MXR BlueBox.. love it.. there's a thread about 'em right around here.

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    but the blue box is more for octave down, without fuzz.

6. Prescription Electronics Experience is fuzz with or without octave (and the weird swell thing). I originally bought one for guitar years ago and only recently ran the bass through it... and it's now my fuzz bass effect of choice. I don't use it with the octave (I use my Unibass if going for that effect), although it does track well and sounds great.

7. endlessbassic

endlessbassic

Dec 23, 2004
    Part of the jury seems to be out on the BlueBox at the moment.. the website says (for the new ones, at least) that it's 2 octaves down, and that's it.

The early, script-logo boxes (like mine) def. sound like there's 'oct. up'
    overtones happening and it's pretty fuzzy, so.. who knows? Maybe they changed them after a while? Either way, it's worth a go.