Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave-up/harmonization & cheap multi-effects (BP200, BFX708II)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by craigb, Sep 30, 2003.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

I've got a BFX-708 (first generation) that meets all of my minimal effects needs (with the addition of a Boss LS-2 line selector for bypassing & mixing with the original signal) with one exception. Its octave-up tone (accessed as "pitch shift") is miserable. It warbles and "beats" against the original signal like a just painfully enough out-of-tune guitar playing along with the bass.

I'm satisfied with the capabilities of the other effects (octave down, synth, etc.) and it fulfills any "effects jones" I get without costing too much and keeping my pedalboard simple (wireless, tuner, multifx, LS-2 & DI).

Do any of the newer generation inexpensive bass multieffects (BFX708-II or Digitech BP200) do the octave up effect in a better (i.e. actually usable) manner? If I get any answers that they do then I'll go to GC and try them out (I don't want to waste a trip if they just don't cut it at all - I'll just live with my 708 and wait for the next generation of stuff to see how it does).

Thanks!

2. pitch shifting up is hard to accomplish with decent quality, multi effects dont put the time into this effect to get it right because your taking quantity over quality i say multi effects wont have a good pitchshift up unless its the very best multi effects and even then it wont be something to get all excited about. get single pedals for stuff like wahs pitch shifts and compression is what i suggest

3. All the multiefx I've tried are all pretty weak on this particular effect except the big bucks units. OTOH the Akai UniBass does a very good job of octave up, it wil also add a 4th down or a 5th up and octave solo. There is also a pretty good sounding distortion with a tone control for the octave effect. MF and other places have had it for sale for a low as $99.00. ;)

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm using a Digitech Whammy reissue. Great tracking on the higher notes, and in tune. You can do all kinds of harmonization, plus whammy effects and chorus. Octave up works wonderfully, and sounds less processed than most (I can actually tell what pickup i am on, even at two octaves up).

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I had a Unibass (and a Deep Impact) picked up during the sale(s). They are most excellent pedals but I sold them because I don't use effects much, and didn't want a huge pedalboard. I can survive without the octave-up (actually, I can survive without any effects) and it sounds like even the newer generations of inexpensive multifx won't help. So I won't make time to take a special trip to GC to check them out (which is what I wanted to know -whether it was worth the effort to do so).

Thanks