1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octave-up ONLY?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Sep 16, 2008.

1. I'm searching for just a simple octave up pedal. Nothing fancy, just one octave up. I'll build the thing myself if I have too. The EH Micro Pog is expensive, the Boss OC-3 funny sounding and expensive, and pretty much everything else has a fuzz or comes inside a another pedal (Whammy, PS-3, etc.).

The little I know about octave-up comes from schematics from an octave up fuzz. I know it involves diodes and a transformer. Other than that, I haven't a clue.

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I don't even think that a clean octave-up is possible without going digital. The only analog way I know of to do an octave up is the octavia-stype fuzz. So doing it yourself is probably gonna be tough unless you're equipped to program your own dsp.
    The cheapest clean octave up I know of is the micro pog.

3. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    this question came up some time ago..

how do you want it to sound? clean or dirty?

to go clean, you want digital. didn´t use much in this area, but the micro pog is about the cleanest and best tracking I have used.

if you want dirty, you could build something yourself, I guess, but I don´t have any schematic. I know that if you ringmodulate the signal with itself, you get one octave up - blend to taste... if that´s of any help.

of course there´s the jonny octave by zvex... this one`s expensive, too, but is quite cleanish (what I can tell from the videos)

4. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    when I typed my answer, this wasn´t there, I swear! ; )

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Are you looking for a clean-sounding octave up? The only way (AFIK) to get a clean octave up is with a digital pedal (i.e Micro POG). Analog octave up pedals use a byproduct of distortion, and by nature, aren't particularly clean.

EDIT: Well, at least we're all in agreement ;)

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The PS-3 and PS-5 are cheaper than the Micro POG, but nothing quite delivers like the Micro POG.

Still, I'd suggest playing with a PS-5 (which should be better for this purpose than its predecessor, or so I've heard) and seeing if you like the tone of the octave notes.

There really is nothing else cheaper without going into octave fuzz, which is NOT what you want, or unclean octave up sounds, like those on the EHX Bass Micro Synthesizer (which is too expensive in your case) or Foxrox Octron, among others.

7. Hmm...looks like I need to invest in a Micro POG. And it also makes clear why analog octave-up stuff is usually paired with distortion...

Thanks to all who replied. You've made things a whole lot clearer.

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
  9. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    fuzzrocius has one (not sure of the correct spelling but they have a myspace and a TB) little pricy but is exactly what you're looking for by the sound of it

10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I will note, I would never associate the word 'clean' with a pog or micropog and it's octave up function. It's not distorted or fuzzy, true. It does sound like a little robot whining though.

At this point, I don't see "clean" octave up happen anywhere at all. Maybe it's not possible.

11. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    the sampes from octavius squeezer have a pretty tasty sample of some clean octave up..but its a synth clean..not a bass/guitar..

12. If anyone has ever looked at a waveform from a bass (or a guitar for that matter) you will know that it's not "clean" by any stretch of the engineers imagination. It's spiky, it's square-wavy, it's everything but predictable and "clean".

Hence, if you synthesise pure sine waves it sounds artificial. If you rectify the signal you get distortion (due to the fact you are essentially 'folding' the waveform in half). Even re-sampling the signal sounds unnatural because it doesn't actually replicate the sound of playing up an octave (not to mention the processing delay).

You're boned if you do and your boned if you don't.

13. word thats the closest your going to get to clean octave up without going digital

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    the micro pog and oc3 aren't expensive...they're just not cheap.

Quit shopping at walmart already.

15. They're expensive to me... :atoz:

16. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Sorry thunderscreech. I'm a correcter. Don't take it as me saying you're wrong...

out of your pricerange and expensive aren't really the same thing.

I've used behringer effects that have sounded fine and been great tools.
    they're cheap and plastic.

If you're open to it then try that...or buy something used.