1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

octave up!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guest043, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    and just when i thought i had everything..

i want something to give me an octave up. where to start..well, i dont mind it being really dirty, synthy, clean, what have you...what are my options?

i tried using a search, but "octave up" doesent work (up is only two letters..) and without the word up its all threads about suboctaves.

ive used a digitech (guitar) whammy and gotten a cool sound with that, but its so huge im not going to have room for it..

also seriously considering an octavius squeezer for octave-up synth stuff.

and i know of the EHX hoh/pog pedals, but i try to avoid EHX at all cost..

is there any botique pedal out there i should look into?

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Why are you avoiding EHX? The POG/micro POG is awesome and would do what you want.

3. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    ive bought 3 EHX units. all of them broke after use.

no i do not throw them at brick walls, either..

i'll look into them though..arent those the ones that can do the hammond B3 kind of sound?

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    With that track record, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid them. I haven't had a problem myself. I've tried the micro POG a couple of times now and it's on my list to buy. You can definitely dial in a organ-like sound with it.

5. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i cant seem to find a clip of it with just the octave up.

ill probobly use it with/without a dry signal..but i moreso am looking for just an octave up, for freakish hendrix style guitar-range solos. without my bass signal.

ill keep looking though. thanks

6. I'm a fan of the Digitech Whammy. Yes, even the IV. The 1 and 2 octave up settings work pretty much up and down the neck for me, except for maybe down the the last few frets of the E string where it starts to get a little glitchy.

The POG and MicroPog are both good options. If you just want the basic feature, the Micro is probably the way to go. If you want Hammond sounds the standard POG is your best bet. If you want the sweep than the Whammy is where it's at.

7. <bangs head on table>

Use the google search and the phrase match feature and you'll find lots of results.

8. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    fuzzrocious has a myspace, they have a octave up
    VERY simple and built very well from what i gather
    juts one knob for the volume of the octave up
    edit: and you get it painted coolly

9. (b)Assman

(b)Assman

Jun 22, 2008
    Champaign, IL
    modded DS-1 or Octavius Squeezer

10. heroesofalma

heroesofalma

Jul 4, 2008
    I hunted for octave up with similar frustrations.
    I ended up with the Prescription Electronics Facelift.
    I has a Fuzzface clone on one side and an Octavius on the other.
    You can combine the two sounds for maximum sonic mayhem...
    my SVT loves it!

11. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    FoxRox Octron

12. i'd say go for a high gain fuzz face clone for those hendrix lead tones! either that or maybe a higher rain green ringer clone as that has a much cleaner more pronounced octave up to it, but if you like ALOT of octave up go for the ampeg scrambler it has a blend on it to so will keep the low end fairly well on bass

13. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Thanks for the shoutout almix12!

If you want an octave up, Hendrix-style pedal, you NEED to get a Tycobrahe Octavia clone!!! It's a octave fuzz. You can control how much fuzz you want in the feed...I would suggest getting a Dan Armstrong Green Ringer clone, but controlled fuzz is always better.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com sells replicas of both of these pedals, plus a ton of others!

14. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    im not so much looking for a fuzz with an upper octave, im looking for just the upper octave.

doesent need to keep low end

just needs to get me into guitar-range. i have other pedals to cause the rest of the meyhem :bassist:

15. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    have you thought about the akai unibass?
    has octave up, and can add a 4th or 5th above the altered signal to get a power chord type sound - it will add distortion to the up as well, if required

16. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    after looking into all the suggested ones, i think the Prescription Electronics Facelift is looking most up my alley..

any soundclips? specifically with just the upper octave playing clean lines? (maybe even jazz-guitar-ish)?

..and of course full on hendrix crazyness would be cool to hear as well.

17. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    You mentioned Hendrix-style fuzz...
    He used the Tycobrahe Octavia for some of his octave up solos, that's why I mentioned it.

The Green Ringer is about the closest you're gonna get without buying the POG or HOG.

18. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    does that imply that the green ringer isint neccesarily better than a pog or hog?

also..the akai unibass looks like itd fit my needs quite well, but just like everything else that i like, its discontinued..err..anyone know what they go for on ebay?

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If you don't mind me asking... which EHX pedals broke on you?

Their reputation on reliability has changed dramatically with their new lines of products.

20. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    We've had a few discussions on here about octave up pedals...

The Green Ringer plays the note you hit, plus the octave above it. There's very little coloring of your tone. There's a tiiiiiiny bit of noticeable dirt added on the notes.

The Octavia adds fuzz to the octave and gives you that Hendrix tone.

The POG and HOG both allow you go up and down octaves and IMO track the notes smoother, but you stated that you wanted to stay away from EHX, so these are out of the question...The POG and HOG will allow you play just the octaved notes w/ our your bass' dry signal. If I wasn't trying to buy a Jetglo Rick bass, I would buy a HOG, epression pedal, preset jawn, and a pedalboard in 1/2 a heartbeat...

The Green Ringer might be better for one musician than the HOG or POG since the latter two have a ton of other options that s/he doesn't need...or vice versa...For me, if I just wanted to play octaves with little or no dry effect, I'd buy a Micro POG. If I had the money, I'd buy a HOG + accessories. If I wanted to sound like Jimi on bass, I'd buy an Octavia.