Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave use

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JWC, May 8, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    You know, I don't see many bassists these days playing notes and also playing their octaves that much. I mean, JPJ, Roger Waters, Geddy, and Geezer used octaves often. How come that isn't prevelant in music anymore??

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    The reason octaves are so common amongst the bassist you mentioned for example is that they play a lot of riff-based rock. Riff-based rock ís usually built up around notes used in the span of one octave. Therefor the octave (up) is natural to use as a turning point or landing note. It's a bit hard to explain.

Also, Geezer Butler for example played arpeggios or part dissected chords a lot of the time, so the octave became logical.

Either way, I'll use the octave (one octave up, usually) in almost every song I play.

/lovebown

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Using the octave still is prevalent in disco, funk, and latin basslines. It's hard to characterize what a typical bassline is nowadays, but I'd say most basslines from popular music are just the roots. I don't even hear the fifth used very often in pop music.

4. I'm in a hard rock band in Australia, Called Uneven Terms, and I actaully use octaves a far bit. I think just staying on the lower notes can actaully turn away an audience, sort of like it just comes out as one big wall of sound and to me it gives me a head ache, so I use octaves alot to split up the sound, and try to make it sound alot more open and more exciting to play.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I slap it way too much. :D

6. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    JWC,

Whats an octave?

7. Rockinjc, if you play the 3rd fret of the A string (C), the 5th fret of the G string is also a C but a different pitch. it's an octave higher than the C on the A string.

i use ocataves ALOT. 5ths quite a bit too. They really spice up the bassline if placed properly.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Perhaps you don't hear it because it's been overdone in the past.

Personally, too much octave or root/fifth (slap) playing makes me cringe. And it's the thing you tend to play when you don't know anything about harmony.

9. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i get octaves but whats a fith, is it just the fith note in the scale?

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    yep, that's it.

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    so when ppl say the first fourth and fith or whatever it is, does that just mean the first fourth and fith notes in the scale?

12. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

Yes, if you take the C scale it goes like:
    C-D-E-F-G-A-B
    1-2-3-4-5-6-7

It's the same with all scale.