Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octaver and distorsion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Paolo, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Hi

What's the best octaver ?
    I can use a distorsion pedal for guitar on my bass ?

Thanks

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Not sure, but I doubt that the distorsion will handle nicely the low frequencies.
    I don't think you could blow anything but will it distorsed the lowest sounds ?

[Edited by NJXT on 01-28-2001 at 04:54 PM]

3. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've just got an EBS octabass pedal and its real nice. Its almost twice the price of a similar boss pedal, but it will play an octave below low G without glitches - which is a lot lower than the boss pedal.

I used it last night live and the PA couldn't really handle the notes below low A (which was certainly interesting)

It looks nicely made, but my one moan is that the input is on the left rather than the right, so cables get a little twisted when I plug it into my boss bass chorus.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The EBS has the best tracking, but the BOSS OC-2 sounds much warmer IMO, try using a compressor in front of the BOSS to improve tracking...

Guitar or bass distortion? Doesn't really matter except for the individual distortion sound...try all models you can get your hands on - some guitar distortion pedals sound much better than those that are marketed as bass distortion...you might like to try a tube-driven unit like Hughes&Kettner's Tube Factor...

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ...or a Sans Amp Bass Driver...picked one up yesterday. Lovin' every minute of it!:cool:

Check out the thread by the same name...you'll see that many are excited by this thing! I now believe that it's one of the better distortion units on the market...

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I use a Dano Black Coffee Metal distortion pedal on my bass & notice a slight loss of low end but it still sounds good. I like the Dano Minis for small size & relatively inexpensive [30-40 per pedal]. Thats all