Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octaver... Do I Need One?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dave44, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Any one out there have any experience with this effect? It's been quite a number of years since I was a serious bass player, now all of a sudden everyone (that's the counter guys in the music stores) are saying in order to complete your sound you need one of these. Please excuse my ignorance but from memory all it does is repeat your note at either an octave lower or higher, am I right? If it's a pedal we must all have who makes a good one?

2. whoever told you that all bass players NEED one is a complete idiot. No one NEEDS an effect pedal to be a good bass player.

3. snoogin

snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    No one needs a pedal, but if you like the effect, EBS makes one that I think sounds good. But the last time I used that effect, I was sitting in my room all by myself getting my jollies off making strange sounds that had no value.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i have no use for an octave pedal. don't care for it at all.

maybe if you play dub or something it would be useful, but no one NEEDS one.

go try it out for yourself (at a store). what's the worst that could happen?

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    They make you sound HUGE. And who doesn't like a little hugeness now and then anyway? If you're gonna go for one, my recommendation would have to be the "industry standard", the Boss OC-2. This is the same pedal used on recordings by such bass luminaries as Tony Levin, Pino Palladino, and Will Lee. There is nothing in the world that will fill the room with the boom like a bass with an octave chugging below it. This pedal is for use with 15" or better yet 18" woofers only! Also doubles as a laxative for the most stubborn constipation.:)

6. One would be useful for synth sounds, but you really don't need to use one. It's something that's nice to have on your pedal board... but there's a difference between using effects tastefully and using them all the time as part of your tone. And so on.

7. If one plays strictly 4-string in a situation that covers material originally played on extended range instruments, then an octaver and a Hipshot Bass Xtender together can come close to alleviating the need for a 5 altogether. As for using an octaver for tone extension, that's more of a guitarrist thing. EBS' unit is by far the most flexible and highest quality unit with one octave down, whereas the Boss and Dano units offer a second tone 2 octaves down, along with the ability to blend the dry and both wet signals, and are thus better for guitarrists. A less-expensive alternative to the EBS is the MXR bass octave, which also has the added convenience of foot-adjustability while playing. I have the MXR and use it mostly for pedal tones on my MIM Jazz fretless church gig. For the rock trio I have yet to use it onstage, as the Xtender gets me to low D and that's usually good enough. In past cover bands I have used a combination of both tools. If you have GAS and a c-note to spare, it's a tough choice between an octaver and some form of filter effect. You must determine your primary function within your band and assess which better serves your needs. As for me, the choice is simple. Look at your job description: bass player:cool: An octaver will give you help with the bass part. As with any effect, use sparingly. Our mantra has always been "less is more" (unless you're Geddy Lee and he only uses the occasional chorus on his basses).

8. Again.. I can't believe more than one person told you such an imbecile thing..

You shloud try one to see how it works.. Yes they make your bass sound HUGE and fat.. but a little blurry (?) for my taste..

Anyway..if you ever think a bout getting one, dont buy a dod octavizer.. a guitar player I played with a couple of times gave me one he wouln't need anymore.. It sucked! he said it himself.. you could hardly notice the effect either on bass or guitar.. It wasn't worth the bateries..

9. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    For the record, I never said anybody "needed" one...I just posted to sing their praises because they happen to useful to me in my situation and I thought I'd pass that along. If you use one and the notes tend to "blur", you would need to be more selective with what lines you can use it with, and also without digging in too hard.