1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octaver Issues...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oldprussians, Apr 25, 2009.

1. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    Just a quickie...

We all know tracking is an issue... (I've got 2 octaves 3 if yo count my Zoom b2). But does how worn the strings are, affect the tracking does any one know?....

BTW the best sounding Octaver is the Behringer although turned off it takes all body away from the clean sound. Arion, sounds ok turned off, better tracking of the lot but a bit muffled sounding. the worsted tracking seems the Zoom...... but that could be the 'cause the string are old. OK if you stay down the neck....

2. i doubt it would affect tracking unless your strings were so rusted that you were having a hard time getting any discernable tone out of it. It should be alright regardless.

The Zoom might just not be that great an octaver (tracking-wise), different octavers can have different capacities for tracking.

Also as you probably noticed, using the -2 oct cleanly is pretty hard below the D on the A-string, i always have it turned off.

I do hope that your 'BTW the best sounding octaver is the Behringer' was just in relation to the other octave pedals you own, rather than a general statement about all the octaver currently on the market ;)

3. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!

Yes of the ones I own... It actually tracks better and the octave sound is better. It is only rubbish from the point of view, that when off, it takes the life out of standard sound. The Arion only slightly take the life out, not entirely noticeable. The zoom would be great, but after the 15th ish fret, going up, on the G-string it breaks up!

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Slightly used strings can actually help an octave track better, since the overtones are less pronounced.

5. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    What Octaver do you use? And at which note going up does it start to break up?

6. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Put them in a true bypass loop and you won't have the tone suck issue when bypassed.

7. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use a POG. It never breaks up.

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    yup

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ

Niether does the MicroPOG.

10. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    It is in the Effects Loop......... and the Behringer still suck the tone. And Arion still a little...

11. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The effects loop ordinarily isn't deflatable/bypassable and is actually meant for pedals that are line level such as rack effects and not for instrument level such as stomp boxes. The effects loop only places the effects between the preamp and the poweramp. I'd also suggest using the tone-sucking pedals in a true-bypass loop if you're concerned about it. They can be had for very cheap from places like loop-master.

If you're looking for flawless tracking, you need an octaver that is polyphonic (can handle overtones, chords, etc) as opposed to monophonic which will skip around as the overtones and/or sloppy playing send too much information for the pedal to track. Unfortunately, there are no (to my knowledge) polyphonic analog octavers, so if you like that analog octave down sound you will be somewhat dissappointed with digital octavers like the POG et all.

Also, I have noticed with analog octave effects that the tracking is much better on dead strings.

12. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Another vote for the MicroPog.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just got my Micro Pog tonight after my gig! Got another gig to go to in about 8 hours and I'll get to try it out. I think this is the one. Never heard an octaver track like that and be so clean about it. I will not miss the octaver in the B2. Has no body to it. Sounds big and fat but has no attack.

14. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    That's a bit sad, 'cause I said I would never buy any thing American Whilst the US had the Monkey in charge, making stupid foreign policies... Then I was hopeful when they got the new chap, only to have my hopes dashed, when it turned out he had double standards too........

Why can we never trust politicians as far as we can spit.... :( :bawl:

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So you're willing to turn your choice of effects into a political crusade? For that matter, why are you even posting to TB? It's owned by an American, too. That's the exact reverse of all the nutjobs in America who will buy something crappy over something good just because it's made in America, and it's equally nutty, IMHO. Mike Mathews isn't political, at least publically. Don't penalize him because of Bush and Obama.

Wild.

16. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i don't think i've read a thread where this has been answered...but is it safe to assume octave and pitch based effects track better with passive basses?

17. well AFAIK octave pedals prefer a strong, stable signal (i've always been advised to put a compressor before it). I believe both should track well enough - but if anything i'd think active basses would work better as they generally have a hotter signal?

I could be wrong.

as for the OP - i'd say if you like the Behringer - get the real Boss version, the buffer should be better and so shouldnt suck your tone (at least not as much) when bypassed. You'll pay more than the behringer, but less than the micropog.

You cant really beat the Micropog at what it does (polyphonic, tracks anything anywhere and does octave up as well as down), but it wont sound like the behringer/boss octave pedal

18. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    i've heard the same time about a strong stable signal, but my 'ray seems to cause my EHX BMS and boss PS-3 and PS-5 to sputter and track poorly, and i have a feeling it's due to the signal being too hot. i'm going to try a ripper pretty soon, hopefully it's passive electronics will help stabilize the effects.

19. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Why do I post here? "cause people are people and I believe in positive interaction, and to engage rather than take my bat and ball home!

As to the boycott, When Suid Afrika had apartheid, I boycotted all South African products, knowing that,many Afrikaaners, were not supportive of the right wing, but it was the only way that a powerless person can effect a protest.

Mind you South African History is a lot more complex than is than I at first believed....

20. Oldprussians, I would advise you to cease posting these types of responses, and to delete your prior repsonses. I do not say this because I disagree with you, but because it's quite possible that you will experience an undesirable encounter with a mod. Politics is not a good topic of discussion on TalkBass. You can discuss such matters in a PM.

On the topic of this thread, I am glad to hear you like your MicroPOG, Jimmy. I'll be looking forward to hearing more from you about it.