1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

octaver pedal question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Jun 29, 2014.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yes, even I am thinking og joining the dark side and getting a pedal. One band I play with is modern country, with only one full time guitarist (vocalist plays sax and some acoustic). So I don't care about going lower, but an octave up doubling my line when I have sonic space to fill.

With those needs, what are my reasonably priced options? Thanks.

Call me Formerly just Fingers

2. one of the micro pogs and b:assmaster

i use the mxr bass octave deluxe, it's an octave down. i trun it on when i play higher notes during a solo.

i use a gretsch g5123b with the pedals. i have the dry dimed, and the girth and growl at 12 oclock or less.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don't use an octave up - but for octave down I keep coming back to the original OC-2. It just sounds better than most any other one I have tried. And I have tried MANY of these pedals!

4. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I'll +1 on the Micro Pog. Also the Zoom "B" series can do a good job for octave up if you use the pitch shift (their actual octavers are pathetic, pitch shift is much better IMO).

Having said that, both of these solutions give a fairly colored, piano sort of tone and don't sound much like a natural bass to me, so you might want to try one in a shop to see whether it's going to actually solve your problem.

Mike

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The Boss OC2 is a classic. Sounds great, warm and glitchy. Doesnt track all that great, but it sounds wonderful IMO. If you want something that will track better I hear the Aguliar Octomizer works great. That is a good option as is the MXR bass octave deluxe is a good one too. If you want one that will track flawlessly almost though, go with the Micro POG used by EHX. Sounds digital but tracks wonderfully. The octave on the Zoom MS60b is great too. Its modeled after the Boss OC2 plus youll get about 100 other effecs and amp sims. Winn win with the Zoom ;)

6. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    you will have as different advices as guys: After trying differents ones, my choice is the Ebs octabass. perfect, nice tone which perfectly mix with bass sound to create one bold consistent sound where the MXR deluxe sounds like two differents sounds were played in the same time,and tracks way better than OC-2.

7. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    OP wants a pedal to go up an octave, not down, so that leaves out the MXR, EBS and OC2. I personally would look into the Bass Whammy. The Whammy also has other options besides the octave and is cheaper than the micro POG new.

8. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    True, but it would be much more economical (another of his requirements) to go with a regular octave pedal. The OC-2, MXR, etc would work...he just has to reverse his notion: instead of getting a pedal that does an octave up from his playing, he could play an octave higher and get a pedal that does an octave down. Personally, I think that would sound better, anyway.

9. For you pedal experts: would an MFX pedal such as the Zoom 60-B or Line-6 M5 do the octave-up sufficiently well enough for the OP's needs? The octave-up on my M5 sounds okay to my ears, and I get other bonus sounds/uses such as chorus/flanger/EQ/delay/reverb/tuner. By getting a MFX pedal, if Formerly-Just-Fingers gets sucked further into the Dark Side's deep abyss then there are a myriad of sinful sounds to sample. *where's the dang devil smilie when you need it?* :angel:

Adamixoye likes this.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've been wondering that myself about the devil smile feral, shuuu. TB needs one!!

I suggested the ms60b earlier. I think it would be a great start for him. He could even use a pitch shift effect to get an octave going that tracks really well and sounds organic and not so digital. Plus he'd get all the other effects too! Great start IMO plus it's only $100 new. I also thought of the new BWhammy but it may be a little more than what he is looking for. Otoh, it could really help him fill out those sonic spaces in new and different ways than he originally thought.....

Killing gods

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    All I really am looking for is something to help fill out where the rhythm guitar would be. Thanks.

12. Right; that would be your bass playing an octave higher than you normally play.

The octaver would then provide the octave lower bass note. The octave up pedals are all either digital or based on fuzz producing a one octave higher harmonic. I don't think that's going to sound right for your country gig.

An EBS Octabass is what I would recommend. I traded my old guitarist, who plays acoustic, for his OC-2, and he loves it. He's getting into looping and it provides a very natural sounding octave down using the "smooth" setting.

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The M5 will do octave up, but it's monophonic. Any octave up that I've tried has had a very artificial, chorusy texture that I would only use on the intro to Jeremy (or whatever Pearl Jam song has the classic 8/12 string intro). Honestly, I'd try some overdrive to help fill in the rhythm guitar dropping out and play some octaves or power chords. But that's just my opinion. The Fishman Fission is supposed to do exactly what you're looking for, but I really don't care for its tone.

14. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    My vote is for the Zoom MS-60B. You get a pith shifter,octaver and a total of 58 effects,50 presets, up to 4 effects in a "chain" and even a tuner! I bought one to replace a tuner and was and still am VERY pleasantly surprised at the diverse control and tonal selections. Plus they run less than 100 bucks, WIN-WIN IMHO.

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    EHX micro pog

16. Maybe try the Roscoe Beck "B3 Organ Sim"! As seen in FretNoMore's post in the New "Organ" Pedal thread!

and in more detail 30:30 midway through:

In fact, you could do the two-hand tapping without the chorus/vibrato or any other pedals and stick to the Light Side.

17. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Akai unibass- if you can find one for a reasonable price

18. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I really agree. We are all such wine snobs about whatever effect does it for us (e.g., the people who try dozens of different ODs and/or fuzzes), but I've never really understood the need for so many different octave sounds. Especially if you are playing with a lot of dry through, the tone of the octave is not that obvious.

19. I never tried the Aguilar Octamizer, but I owned the Boss OC-2, EBS Octabass, and MXR BOD. And for me, the winner is my old OC-2 made in Japan.:cool:

I know that some guys don´t will be agree with me, but for me my old Boss it´s the best choice. Of course that doesn´t track so low like the BOD, but if you know how to fingering you can be so close to get it. Maybe doesn´t has a natural and punchy tone like the EBS, but his synth tone it´s clearest for me.

But the main reason of my choice is that my old Boss has the faster response that the other ones. It has the same fast response in all the wide neck. Never mind where you are playing. In the upper bass register (frets 12 or more, in G string), the BOD seems having some problems to identify the notes; the EBS seems it has some lost of volume in comparison that the register an octaver below (fret 5 in A string). The same thing happens in the MXR if you choose the Girt mode.

When I´m soloing, or playing some melody in this upper register, I don´t hear the latency that I heared with the MXR and EBS. The octaved tones are so tight with the natural bass dry, and both notes sound together.

For me, I think that it´s very important in an octaver, more than go lowest.:cool:

armybass likes this.
  20. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I agree with SGT. Baker..... hooah! I wanted the quicker response than I did the analog warmth so I went with the POG not knowing that I would love the octave up as muc as I do. I kept the MXR Octave Deluxe on my board too. I love them both for different reasons but if you want to go up.... I highly recommend the POG.