1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octaver pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DTRemcoG, Oct 31, 2010.

1. DTRemcoG

DTRemcoG

Dec 16, 2007
    Hey everyone!

I'm currently busy with composing music for a very interesting project of mine. I'm already forming a band. And the bassist only has a 4 string bass guitar. I also play Baritone guitar on the album in dropped A.
    Well the thing is, the bassguitar has to be one octave underneath it. And I was wondering if there was a pedal on the market that would be great for this purpose. No latency and only the sound of the octave below what you are playing.

Does anyone know a pedal that could do such thing and still sound great at the same time.

Thanks in advance,
    DTRemcoG

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very popular question/idea, but the truth is, you're much better off drop tuning the bass, or even re-stringing it for BEAD tuning, than you are using an octave pedal to simulate those low notes. The pedals are great as an EFFECT, but not so great for what you want. I'd get a new set of strings, with a heavy bottom, (.125) and tune down.

3. I don't mean to sound mean, but there's a wonderful search function here that will give you hours of reading :)

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah if it's abnormally low notes you're after, look at tuning your instrument that way (and reinforcing your amplification appropriately). Octavers are better for giving the flavour of using an octaver than they are for extending the range of the bass convincingly.

5. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    i think the MXR bass octave delux does that really well the girth channel is great for that.
    or look into knuckelhead basses

6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    As an add*
    If you still are looking in the way of octave pedals to get you there - Analog will not do. You are going to have to look in the way of digital. Analog (including the MXR BOD above) get finicky below a standard A or G for most people.

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    And while a digital harmoniser will be able to resample your input, the resulting output is guaranteed to be thin and weedy-sounding. So you can have an artificial low note if you really want one, but it will be unimpressive!