1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

octaver/pitch shifter type effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by paradigm_shift, Mar 3, 2008.

1. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Ok, possibly it would be a "harmonizer" technically?
    I'm looking for a pretty specific sort of sound, something that sound relatively natural(as much as can be exspected) ,that can do minor 2nds and/or 7ths . Im looking for dischord and dis-harmony (for lack of a better term).Possibly with a clean and effected line out. I have tried the digitech ex-7 expression factory and boss ps-5 super shifter. If the shifted voice is distorted, It may also work. Any ideas? If you think either of the pedals should be able to do it I'm happy to try settings if you suggest some. But any ideas....?

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Eventide Harmonizer will get you there at a severe wallet drain. Look for rack/studio boxes instead of guitar pedals, you'll have more choices but most will be more expensive than a typical effect pedal.

3. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    Any idea where I can find samples of said effect? I'm more inclined to get a generic pedal than a boutique if I can find something as I am still experimenting. As far as rackmounts go did you have suggestions?

4. Whammy? :meh:

5. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    How does the digitech whammy go for bass? Its one I'm wanting to try. I guess I tryed the modelled version on the expression factory and kind of wrote it off from there. I'll give it a go if you think it has promise though?

6. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    So I did some quick serches regarding the wammy and I dont think it seems to be quite what I was looking at. I will still try one given the opertunity though. Any other suggestions?

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Digitech Triad, coming out soon. Their vocal harmonizer listens to your guitar chords and provides intelligent vocal harmonies based on the chord analysis, not sure if the Triad will have the same feature but will be worth a look when it comes out!

8. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Well, as I said I think the Eventide Harmonizers are the bees knees, that's a rackmount. You can also look for TC-Helicon. There's a ton of stuff out there that does this when you start looking at studio gear. Google Eventide and mp3 and I bet you'll get more samples than you want. These things are several hundred to several thousand dollars though. Here's a link to get you started: http://tweakheadz.com/harmonizers_and_more.htm

9. ps-3

10. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    +1

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    What does the PS-5's intelligent mode do when you play outside a selected scale?

The Whammy IV can do a minor 2nd, but I think you meant diminished.

Oh man, I'm starting to GAS for a PS-3... On a similar note an extreme vibrato might get you something like what you're looking for. I bet if you pushed an EH DMM you could get a diminished 2nd out of it.

Worst case you might have to run two pitch shifters in series, you know maj3 up plus 2nd up gets you a tri tone.

12. paradigm_shift

paradigm_shift

Mar 29, 2007
    so tried the whammy...It has potential. Its getting closer to where I want to be.... But not quite there. I actually found I prefered some of the downtune effects more. So an awesome pedals... just not for what I'm wanting it for...

Any other Ideas? Im thinking I might need a custom built something/ boutique of some description... But open to any and all...

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The Boss PS-3 has a few cool pitch shift modes - some of which allow for you to even dial two differently pitched voicings in addition to your clean signal. You can dial in anything from no pitch change to +/- 2 octaves (although there is no "range" of semitones to select after 1 octave - it goes straight to 2 octaves).

The detune stuff on it rocks for a really thick and ambient chorus effect. Plus, with an expression pedal, it can do all the whammy and harmony work a Whammy pedal can do - but fine-tuned to whatever values you want. It's trickier to work with as a result, but I'm loving mine so far. :)