1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octaver question for live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Granville, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Been messing around with both my sub octavers in the studio,a digitech bass synth&a ashdown sub octave and Im, skeptical what these unit sound like live without a massive rig,surely producing the lower octave will peak my amp and possibly screw my speakers?

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    It depends. IME I found the Digitech BSW to have a hollow and unnatural octave sound. I doubt it would cause much speaker problems unless you're really pushing your gear to the limit.

I've used my Ampeg Sub-Blaster at gig-volumes, but that was volume 3/10 on my amp. It handled everything alright, considering the Ampeg's octave is MUCH deeper and heavier than the BSW's. But if I turn it up to volume 5, everything starts farting-out, if you will. It farts. Big wet ones.

3. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    That's my point: You shouldn't be able to blow-up something without HEARING stuff being stressed first!

Plus - I'm sure that most down-octavers are the same, in that they're not just providing a pure-low sub-octave; they have a harmonic series that adds real character - and these harmonics are all at-or-above the fundamental freq of the note being played.

Also - I've found a great use for my OC-3: I put it at the input of a hard distortion, (always to the 'guitar' input, and usually in Poly mode). The distortion and octaver is set up for the way I'd want it without the octave - in other words, octave down all the way, clean up to equal in/bypass volumes. Then I turn the original down all the way, and 'tune-in' the octave, by dialing it up to only JUST BARELY BEGIN to clip at the distortion (this is way-way down - like 8:30-8:45). What this does now, when you set the dry back to the equal-volume condition (like between 2:45-3:00 on mine), it changes the character of the distortion; adds real growl! When you turn the distortion off, you usually can't really even tell the octaver is on! I just sort-of modulates the dry signal around enough to alternately smoosh-up against the rails at twice the period of the original.

Joe

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    You'll hear things going wrong before you blow speakers; it's not a matter of sudden failure.

You also might get to a point where, depending on what amp and speakers you have, you just don't get much mileage out of the octaver because of your rig's low-end response. If everything drops off sharply below a certain frequency, then you just won't get much out of the sub-freq.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    BUT: even if you sharply, completely elliminate the sub-octave, you'll hear a definite effect on the tone with most divider-type octavers.

I only got to briefly audition that Sub Blaster. If anything, this one might have less lovertones - it sounded like mainly solid, authorative subs!

Like I've said before: the overtone series of an OC-3 in Poly mode reminds me of the overtone series you'd get from "blowing across a big jug"!

Joe

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021