1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octaver that goes up?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jonathan1990, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Hi, I'm looking for a decent octaver, not too expensive, that can also give you a high octave, rather than just the lower ones. So far I've only seen the high octavers on synth- and multipedals. Can anyone help me with this?
    Thanks, Jonathan

PS: I play in a postrock band and I'm going to fuzz the octave anyway, so bad tone shouldn't really be a problem.

2. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    EHX Micro Pog or Pog2, MI Audio Pollyanna, Foxrox Octron, Eventide Pitchfactor, various multi-effect units.

3. Thank you for the quick reply, I'll check them out.

4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome - Dallas
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Also the EH Octave Multiplexer.

5. I had a Pollyanna & it's not much good for the up octave except in a noise/distorto-tone type thing. I've heard the Foxrock is good.

6. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    Digitech wammy pedal but $$$$$$$$$$$

7. Digitech EX-7 gets you octave-up whammy with a tone control on the shifted notes. Although doesn't track that well on the low E below about G. Gives you a great bunch of other effects too though. That's what I use.

EHX microPOG, POG, POG2 or HOG are good options.

Used whammy or EX-7 or microPOG are probably your cheapest options.

Steve

P.S. The Octave Multiplexer is octave down, not octave-up. An alternative to octave-up of course is to play an octave up and use an octaver to shift down. If you're willing to go this route, I can recommend the Boss OC2 for analog and the digitech Bass Synth Wah for digital octave-down goodness. Both are significantly cheaper than the octave up options...

8. If you can find one Boss ps3 does this pretty wildly though it does warble and has a 'chime' like tone to it...

easily covered up by distortion tho ;)

9. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    Just to clarify, the Foxrox Octron's octave up is distorted unlike a Whammy or POG. I didn't know this when I got mine but I bought it mostly for octave down.

10. Analog UP octavers are always gonna be dirty.
    See the audio samples on FOXROX's site to hear audio samples.

If you're thinking about using fuzz with an octave up - an analog pedal (without the fuzz) may do the job for you????

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If you're looking for a non-down octave, check out the FEA labs Growler as i understand that it synthesizes the harmonics of the note your're playing (some have compared this to the OC-2, I've yet to play one so this is potentially just a geeky post) and you're going to be fuzzing it anyway, check out the BYOC armstrong clone which is a Green Ringer clone (octave up ringmod) and an Orange Squeezer clone (squash comp) together.

I play a Pigtronix OFO disnortion which has a great ringmod up (octava channel) in front of parallel fuzz/overdrive.

If you don't already have your fuzz pedal then I highly recommend that unit and if you do then I suggest you play it when you can.

While you're at it you may want to try the Pigtronix Mothership (if you're at a pigtronix dealer) as it's all analog intelligent ring mod with an octave down...but it's not inexpensive...but if you have an afternoon to try pedals then why not, eh?

12. Add one more to the list.

The CAVE passive pedals "OCTA-BASS" does an upper octave, but not whilst retaining the original signal - it's instead of.
    And of course it's a passive, so no batteries needed.

13. erik281

erik281

Oct 27, 2008
    TX
    Akai Unibass

14. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Unibass only does up and either a 4th down or 5th up. Great for adding a second guitar, or making your bass do everything.

I owned one. Very cool effect, but lost it's draw after a few jam sessions. I wish I still had it, but I'll get one someday.

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I own a Growler and its not really an Octave effect. It actually adds second order harmonics to the signal to create a fatter tone, but its not an octaer per-se and its certainly not an octave higher.

I think the MicroPoG would be an obvious choice, but if you want to Fuzz the octave up and leave your bass signal inact you would need something like a BArge VB2 to blend back the bass signal.

16. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Can anyone provide clips of the Cave Octo Bass?

17. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Why does it lost its draw? What kind of music were you playing?