Octaver?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BOOG, May 22, 2023.

1. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021

Isolated bass if you’re interested

BOOG likes this.
  2. TheKillersFan

TheKillersFan

Jan 20, 2021

I’ve recently started getting more into octave pedals and these are some of the examples I’ve found. Thank you for starting this thread because it means now I’ll have more :)

the low one and BOOG like this.
  3. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Tear your playhouse down has already been mentioned. Every Paul Young album with Pino is a must own.

I'll put forward I'm Your Man by Wham. I forget who the bass player is but many of the Wham bass lines are really great, despite the cheesy pop front.

4. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Mike Porcaro played a Cirrus 5 String. I don't have a 5 string, so I play this up the board with an octaver going to the down octave. It works out great for me. I'm not a huge fan of octavers going waaaay down into the sub since many don't track well way down. At least the cheaper ones don't...I'm sure there's ones out there that track fine no matter how low you take them.

BOOG likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There are some interviews with Lefebvre talking about the octaver on Black Star on the YouTube.

BOOG likes this.
  6. Maxi Funkl

Maxi Funkl

May 8, 2014
    Earth
    Always one of favorites from them and just killer live too! Man-O-Man I enjoyed leaning up against the speaker stack when this was being played live.

Kubicki Fan and BOOG like this.
  7. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Listen to Pino, Tony Levin, and Guy Pratt, OC-2 over all of that, and Tim Lefebvre too of course.

Kubicki Fan, Killing Floor and BOOG like this.
  8. arepa_funk

arepa_funk Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Tim's playing on the whole Black Star album is phenomenal.

9. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Gold Supporting Member

May 14, 2020
    Edmonton, Canada
    Lazarus is one of my favourites to play, love that song.

10. arepa_funk

arepa_funk Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Great tune. I go back to "Tis a Pity" quite a lot. Took a ton of listens to notice there were drop-ins by Tim and Mark with lots of effects.

Derek Williams and BOOG like this.
  11. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    I bought one (used) - an MXR bass octave deluxe - and found it to be an interesting curiosity and have never actually found a genuine use for it.

now that I think of it maybe I'll try it on the descending intro to "Boris the Spider" by the Who.

BOOG likes this.
  12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    I like my Octabvre just fine, but my 60s-70s gig doesn't call for it, so it's off the board for now.

BOOG likes this.
  13. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada GTA
    Clueless, sanctimonious old bastard
    Jeffrey Deon Estus may have played bass on that song, just a guess. He recently passed away. I am a fan :crying:

14. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK

Octave pedals are used a lot more than you imagine in all sorts of styles. Here's Sting using one so he can play an octave up and get a thicker tone.
    Love some of the other examples above which I hadn't seen before so will check out.

BOOG and Derek Williams like this.
  15. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Definitely not overrated- the main use of analog octave down on bass is tonal and not to extend the range of the bass and is often used as a one-pedal solution to making the bass guitar sound and feel a bit more like a bass synth. Since bass synth is arguably the most popular form of bass in the modern era I think it would be hard to overate this approach for a bassist who doesn't want to play keys!

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  16. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I love using octave with distortion - such a cool sound. This is Gibson Les Paul Triumph into MXR Bass Octave Deluxe into a Fulltone Bass Drive:

This is fretless short scale into same MXR BOD but different distortion (can't remember what!)