Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

octaves

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Ring finger

20 vote(s)
    40.8%
  2. Little finger

29 vote(s)
    59.2%
  1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    just real quick here...do you prefer to use your ring or little finger for playing octaves? i find using the ring finger harder but more practical cuz i still can use my little finger

2. It depends. If I want to play any notes between the root and octave just after, then pinky. Otherwise ring.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Usually pinky.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Like moley, usually the pinky, although it does depend on the context - heck, I'll often play root > fifth using first finger and pinky ;)

Wulf

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I use the ring finger, freeing up the pinky for other things. Like grabbing the next octave on a five or six stringer.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Like I said - it depends on the context. I don't do a lot of jumps up to the next octave - how frequently do you throw that trick in?

I tend to use my first and fourth fingers to span the gap I'm covering (whether a mere fifth or a mighty double octave) and the other fingers to pick out the notes I need in between.

Wulf

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Almost always I will use my ring finger. Usually I only use my pinky when I need to stretch 5 frets. Just the way I play.

8. Ive always used ring finger, using the pinky seems a bit cramped I think, and it cant be kept free for other things like embellisher said.

9. It really depends on the situation...
    Usually pinky when I think about it though...
    I have short stubby fingers :)

10. It depends where I am on the fingerboard. If I'm near the nut, I'll probobly use my pinky, but if I'm past the 12th fret, I'll always use my ring finger.

11. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    I'm not allowed to post here untill I learn what respect for other members means.

12. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I pretty much always use my ring finger.

13. I don't appreciate being called a nut. :mad:
    If anything, you're a nut for quoting me in such an obsurd fasion.

That's interseting that you chose to mention that you have a 34 inch scale bass, only because that's what almost EVERY BASS PLAYER USES! Now let's re-examine which one of us should be getting themselves together. :spit: ;)

14. now i feel left out with my 35 1/2"...

but, for the ring/pinky thing, i usually use my pinky.

15. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Bah. I have a 35 incher!:D

16. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    I'm not allowed to post here untill I learn what respect for other members means.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

:confused:

18. Allow me to explain. This so called "Pet" is trying to pass that phony wuote with something that I actually said. Naturally I said nothing of the sort. Pet, this childish behavior should cease immediately.

19. that's quote, not wuote. My bad.

20. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You do mean on the fretting hand dont you?!

I read about 4 posts thinking "jeez everyone picks with 4 fingers man.. I'm really behind here" then realised.. durr :D

Anyway, you lot are insane two finger technique is what ya need! index and middle only :D