1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octavius Squeezer Owners

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JehuJava, Jan 10, 2012.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    For those that have an OS, can I get the same sounds with an octron, p&c, pitchfactor, second voice, filter twin, and chorus? Or is there some capability that I'd only be able to get with an OS (outside of presets)?

Trying to justify or unjustify the purchase.

2. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Really? No comments? What have you guys done to my TB? Give it back!

Or is silence an admission that an overpriced OS is no better than the aforementioned pedals with easier tweakability?

3. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
  4. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah I read that one a while back. Good idea.

5. rottenramone

rottenramone

Dec 11, 2003
    what you will get is going through the interface very slowly and with plenty of frustration. but if u have an understanding of synthesis and filters, then it should be a lot easier.

in my experience, the filter and fuzz are the bomb. like, really. that's the reason i haven't sold it. the rest are so so. in replication, you'll be better off buying individual pedals.

6. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I've heard that about the filter and the fuzz. Right now I usually use the octron or prunes and custard into my filter twin and get a great sound. I'm still experimenting with using the pitchfactor in conjunction with all of them. I have an oxide and b3k that I don't think are all that great into the filter. Sounds like I can get as good a synth sound without the OS...I just can't stop gassing for one even though everyone says it's hard to use.

There no secret mojo with the OS that I'd be missing is there?

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The killer feature on the OS for me is the numerous ways to modulate the filter - amplitude envelope; ADSR envelope; sample & hold and LFO with tap tempo. Those features plus patch memory make it extremely versatile, all it's missing is treadle control which is a real shame, but to be honest you want a treadle filter at the end of your chain and the OS is best placed at or near the beginning, so it's not such a glaring omission.

The onboard mixer can produce some interesting results too - for example you can patch the output of the filter back into its input, creating a feedback loop, and then modulate the pitch of the feedback using the s&h circuit (or LFO) for bleepy '50s sci-fi computer chatter.

The fuzz and filter combo is excellent, and of course you can do a clean blend (either before the filter or after it), but everybody knows about that. The VCO isn't really useful because of tracking issues. If you work at it you can get some useable sounds but really it's too flaky for most scenarios.

In short: I love mine but I can understand why more people don't use it. It's not easy to program and IMO it's only worth the money if you want a versatile filter with patch memory, and a quality fuzz is a bonus.

8. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks. That was tremendously helpful. I think im going to pick one up.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Bear in mind too you can use the LFO in conjunction with the other settings, so you can have variation over a standard envelope filter, or a synthy ADSR filter, or a choppy sample & hold filter, brings things to life a bit.

I got a nice patch (long since lost, sadly) adding a square wave VCO up a fifth from what I was playing, through a sample + hold pattern on the low-pass filter with the LFO varying it subtly over time, really soothing sound if you played melodic stuff quite high up the neck, not the kind of sound you'd expect to get out of an OS but it's in there.

It's more like using a doddery old synth than a guitar pedal though, you have to have time to experiment with it to get the most out of it. Thankfully the manual is excellent, and if you read through it (no skipping!) it will save you a lot of time and frustration.

10. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Perfect. I don't have a ton of synthesis experience but it's in the direction I'm headed lately. I really wish that patch sharing thread took off.

11. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    OS ordered!

12. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    Great choice IMO. Ive had it since the beginning and while I still havent learned it completely, I will never get rid of it. Its been very confusing at times but in the end so so fun. Right now ive been back into learning it. The user interface isnt all that difficult after a little while. What stumps me is how to just start making effects from the ground up. I havent quite grasped many of the technical terms, like everything mentioned in posts. But once i figure those out i should be good to go.

So far Ive created all my effects by using the randomizer feature and tweaking stuff here and there. Ive come up with many fun tones. Unfortunately i didnt save them to my SD card correctly and lost em. If your still interested in sharing effect patches Ill share some of my findings. Can any one tell me where to start if I want to make a filter,fuzz,and filter fuzz? Ive tried what they said in the manual but Im getting no sound for anything. Thanks

13. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah I'm going through the same thing with the pitchfactor trying to build from the ground up. The presets have functions I can't figure how to find...but I'm stoked on the os. Should be here on friday.

14. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    I'd like to know how the Octavius Squeezer turns out for you, as I've been tempted to buy one, too. I'm most interested in its sawtooth wave, the gated fuzz and the funky filter.

You can listen to the factory presets here:

Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer Sound Samples and Patches

Chunk Systems bass effects: Octavius Squeezer analog bass synth effect pedal

They all sound awesome, and it seems like the OS also has simple gated fuzz or funky auto-wah presets, which I find more useful.

It would be great to know if it's easy to build your own sounds modifying the existent presets, compared to building them up from scratch (which seems consensually quite difficult).

By the way, I also have a Pitchfactor that I adore. I found that modifying the presets was not too hard, and if you combine it with other pedals...:bassist: I use an EHX Bass Microsynth before it and a Xotic BB after it. :)

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I never had a problem making up sounds from scratch but I read the manual the first day I got it - I just sat down with the unit and the manual and read through, tweaking a patch as I went, and it was pretty easy after that.

You can of course just edit the patches it ships with (I have on a couple of the fuzzes which I liked but just wanted to adjust the filter or have a higher output level) but I think it's worth at least attempting to create sounds from scratch because you'll learn a lot about how the params interact.

16. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    Thanks for your input. I also use to sit down for hours with a pedal, tweaking knobs. With the Pitchfactor it was days, in fact.

I'll end up getting an OS, altough not for the moment.

17. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Let's not forget the Beat function. When I figured out that it was able to make fast sequencer type of sounds, I was sold. :)

18. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    What's sucky about the pf is that the same category of effect may have two different types of settings but no explanation how to change that setting. For instance I like the copycat preset especially since its delay time is in bpm rather than ms. Its part of the diatonic category. If I leave the bank mode and try to build copycat from scratch, the delay time is in ms not bpm. Maybe I need more manual reading time.

19. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Man I can't wait for the os to arrive. You guys are pumping me up!!

20. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    I think I can help you. I used the Classic Crystals preset in a recording, and had to adjust tempo in BPM. Go to page 38 of the manual, and read "Tempo" and "Fine-tuning Tempo and Delays". Tell me if you don't get it.

Hope you tell us how the OS works out for you!