Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

October BASS PLAYER

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Has a feature interview with Peter Washington. It's a nice background, but it's still kind of an "interview lite".

Maybe this means there'll be an article in DOUBLE BASSIST...

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    also looks like he has velvets on his bass..unless D'addario's are copper colored.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Dunt he endorse Velvet's? I'm purty sure...

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    he sez inna article that he uses D'Addarios...no mention of velvets.

5. Saw him in Chicago a few month ago and he told me he had just switched to the Velvets, and had also just started playing a smaller bass.

Whatever he was playing sounded great, and watching him tear off those brilliant 16th-note runs with one finger (index over middle, actually) was pretty scary. Helluva nice guy, too.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC

hmmm. He also mentions that he's using a newer Hungarian 3/4 size bass as opposed to his 7/8 Hawkes. Maybe we're seeing a pitcher of his old bass/set up and he's talking about his new bass/set up?

7. Whatever strings he's got, I'd like to know, because his tone is incredible. I'm particularly interested in any info regarding a Bill Charlap recording released this year called Somewhere (The Songs of Leonard Bernstein) - what strings, how it was recorded, etc.

8. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Man, I just dig the hell out of Peter Washington. He is all about gettin' it done.......

I'm currently digging a new Sharp Nine release; Ian Hendrickson-Smith Still Smokin', recorded live at Smoke with Peter on bass. Huge sound, great ideas, makes the band sound great, etc. Check out the feel changes on Love For Sale if you can; it is worth the price of the cd.

Quote from the liner notes sums up this recording:

I'm just trying to play some blues! I want people to feel good. Or bad. Or happy. Or sad. I just think music should make you feel something, and the focus is to never lose sight of that.

Ian Hendrickson-Smith

9. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    (Ok, this is an older thread, I'm doing some catching up here!)

This is a really big universal statement, one part of the being a honest human being! If you are going to say it, you had better walk and talk it, remember it, practice it, even when you aren't making music. I love that.

I'm sure that Mr. Smith means what he is saying. And Peter Washington is definitely moving some serious fresh air with the bass.
    :hyper: :bassist: