1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octron by Foxrox

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kcorbin, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Kcorbin

Kcorbin

Apr 23, 2013
    After reading a ton of good things about the Octron pedal from Foxrox I bought one. I was excited to use it as an Octave Up pedal when using it to add a melody over my bass groove on my looper.

When it arrived I tried it out and I noticed a few things. in Ocatave Up mode there is definitely fuzz added (which sounds great) and the high frequencies seem to be a bit stronger, but the fundamental note is still the same. (I have the direct turned all the way downI expected that the fundamental note would be up an octave. Was I wrong on that?

Secondly I have noticed that the tracking is really poor on Octave down. I am curious if anyone has had better luck?

I know it is a guitar pedal so maybe it just does not work well for Bass.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    You've discovered the dirty little secret of analog octave pedals. The octave up is always dirty. It has to do with how the frequency of the signal gets doubled if I remember correctly it becoming a square wave by the process.

The pog and other digital pedals don't have that problem but they have other problems, they still don't sound like an 8 string in a pedal.

3. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I own an octron 2 and it beats other octave pedals by a long shot in terms of versatility. The octave down tracks well, higher up on the neck than low, like low A and down. Its one of the very best octavers. And yes digital octave pedals will always be better in terms of tracking but not always in terms of tone, some are going for digital sounds, but if you want more organic tones then analog all the way baby.

4. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    Putting a compressor in front of it will help tracking.

5. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
  6. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    +1

I rolled back the pot for the low octave and it helped tighten up the sound...seemed to track better too, but I'm not sure if that was my imagination or not.

7. yaksonator

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Yeah you're right it did for me as well!

8. Kcorbin

Kcorbin

Apr 23, 2013
    Thanks so much I will try that to improve tracking.

9. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Clean up your technique and better tracking will be your reward. Also, read the manual, it is very detailed and helpful.

Great pedals can help players greatly. The Octron will teach you many things. Foxrox pedals are amazing pieces.

10. Kcorbin

Kcorbin

Apr 23, 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions. but my primary concern is getting the octave up to actually sound an octave up. I realize it will sound fuzzed; I like that part. However the fundamental pitch does not change. I am not sure how that is an octave up if all it does is add fuzz.

If you do octave up with direct and octave down tuned all the way down. Do you actually hear the pitch an octave up? All I hear is the upper harmonics more clearly, but the fundamental is still there at the original octave.

11. yaksonator

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I think it's the nature of the analog octave up circuit. Has to be fuzzy, but I can hear the octave up way high up on the neck. Its way more noticeable on guitar. A micro pog would be better if you want a distinct octave up.

12. dcarwin

dcarwin

Feb 11, 2013
    Necro thread bump - which octave up mode do you guys use?

==
    Octave UP MODE
    There are two modes, Mode 1 and Mode 2. The mode is selected by the black switch - move it to the position you desire. Mode 2 is the default setting.
    Mode 1 - This is great for the type of sounds associated with many vintage Octave-up units (Octavia). In this mode you can get many strange distorted overtones, similar to a ring modulator as well as a sweet upper octave overtone.
    Mode 2 - By rolling off high frequencies before the octave doubler, Mode 2 delivers a bold, pure analog upper octave. No need to role your GTR tone back for better octave sounds.

13. yaksonator

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I'm pretty sure I kept mine stock.. and I totally forgot about these options with the octron! I kept the -1 stock too but I remember really liking the different voices!

14. JBTucci

JBTucci

Oct 27, 2008
    KS
    I use an OC-2 now but I still miss my old Octron.