OD comparison

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 7, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    david wilson and i had talked about this briefly. in my search for and OD ive come down to 3. budda phat bass, dredgetone angler and mesa v-twin.

how do they comapre to each other? mostly, which one sounds more like the v-twin. im goign for a ben shpeherd type OD. something that does low to mild well, but can go full out if need be. right now im leaning toward the angler (thanks dave!) but id like to see what other folk have to say.
  2. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    bump, someone? anyone?
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    With distortion, even more than other gear, there is no substitute for "on the job" tryouts. You have to hear it with your band's overall sound to know if it is going to work. It might sound great in the shop, but come across as a low mid honk + static when it hits the mix.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sorry I don't have a comparison but isn't Dredgetone out of business?
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Kind of, John Joseph is continuing to provide support for existing customers / units but isn't making any new units at the moment.
    He talks about getting back into it, but no firm date yet.
  6. I picked up an Angler, used, a while ago and found it to be quite tame. I wonder if it's working as it should? The low end is definately in there, maybe a little too much (if that's really possible :bassist: ). But, mine needs some EQ (to boost the highs) in front of it to it to get it to spit out any signifigant grit. It does sound good with those highs dialed in, tho. Makes me think this might be a great OD to use with an active bass, maybe?

~ Charlie
  7. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

so true.