OD, Distortion, ABY pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Donald Wormuth, May 26, 2021.

1. I am a beginner with limited knowledge. And am jamming with a metal band playing Slipknot, Mudvayne, Static-x, Slayer covers. Ok, I am going to be running a two-amp system. Due to I will be using a guitar distortion pedal instead of a bass distortion. To keep my low bottom end that a guitar distortion pedal will be lost. I Got the Idea from video I attached at end of post. Now I want to run an OD pedal to boost my signal before the ABY. Because with signal being split in two signals will be week to both amps. My plan Is running my distorted signal to my Ampeg BA115 HP and my clean to my Bugera BXD 15 with mid's scooped and high's cut completely to insure just the low is coming through and will probably use the ultra-low. Maybe compression though I don't think that will even be worth it unless I get a pedal instead of the onboard on Bugera. Now is my understanding of od correct it's just basically increasing the signal right? This is where I got Idea from. (5) METAL PEDALS ON BASS - YouTube.

2. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Why not a clean boost? Less colouring of your clean tone that way.
    s-l3005.jpg s-l300.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Donald Wormuth likes this.
  3. How do I go about achieving that?

4. Thanks, Wouldn't OD boost signal in same manner as those? Or is the signal range different? I'm seriously wanting to get the best results and being a beginner am not familiar with those. Before I go and invest in a new pedal but if needed, I am all for it.

5. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    If you use an OD then you wouldn't have much of a clean tone to blend in and you'd be stacking gain stages into your overdrive channel and if it's the mighty Metalzone you'll be using then definitely DON'T stack a drive into it!

Have you considered running bass straight into your 'clean' amp, taking an effects loop out to the distortion pedal and plugging that into the front of the 'effects' amp?

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    HX stomp. Use the Path split to create Paths (A is the original path). Drop the Teemah distortion on one path, it's a Timmy style distortion. I forget which it is but there is dark glass style distortion to put on the grinder Path. Use a send block on each to send one right, the other left.

Then you have one device that does what you want and a tone more, sell off the othe pedals...

BTW - there are a few Split functions in the HX. I use the Crossover split in my distortion path - my goals be different from yours. I'm looking for kind of pushed tube amp lows and clear highs. I split at 160 hz and put a mild grind on that path and a smidge, just a little low eq boost. I put modulation on the highs which helps them stand out. You could do something similar and send more clear lows to one amp and mayhem to the other. The results there would be about as much punch as you could get from those amps.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  7. No i haven't like I said I am a beginner with very minimal experience. That wouldn't harm my other amp? That'd be my biggest concern because I just spent $200 getting it fixed because I made a stupid mistake. I never would of thought that it would have messed up my amp but it did. I have a set of headphones that has a 2nd output to connect a 2nd set of headphones to share well. I thought I could take my headphones from both amp's in to the head phones. Well, it blew an op amp on the board I had one headphone hooked up. Thinking that output would work either way because it can be an in or out... Being one is 1/4 and other is 1/8 and you can use it as an input. But when I sent it too Ampeg to get repaired. I explained what had happened before it quit working. That's what they told me was cause. And I really haven't decided if I was going to go with one of the pedals. I was relying on the distortions built in to my multi-effect.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  8. I'm not clear as to what you are saying? Can you explain a little more please? Are you saying that there is a pedal I can get to do this with one amp? What's a Timmy distortion or did you mean a timey as in time? I just looked up HX stomp boxes if that's what your talking about. That would have to happen in the very far future being $400 to over $600 not in my budget. I am on disability and am just starting this musical journey. I have to go with what I have at the moment. But I will definitely check into and research it for future Idea. My next investment is going to be a head and 4x10 cabinet.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  9. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    I would just get a buffered ABY pedal. This way you lose no signal. This one from MXR even has a boost built in.

MXR MC406 CAE Buffer Pedal

10. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    The amount of signal lost from splitting to 2 channels will not be so much that you can't make up for it with your amp's gain knobs.

If you specifically want to hit the front end of the amps harder and run the gain knob lower (and there are good reasons for this) nearly any pedal with an output volume knob will get you there. Try a few and settle on one you like the sound of.

11. skycruiser

skycruiser Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Texas
    That's an active device so the signals going to your amps won't be "weak" as you said in the first post. It looks like a buffer with the option to invert one channel which is nice. Some pedals invert so you might get phasing issues. That switch should allow you to resolve that.

12. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok the Radial Big Shot ABY is exactly what you need to do this kind of split. It has a transformer isolated out with ground lift and phase reverse. I think it’s actually passive apart from the LED’s being the only thing that requires power on it. Either way it’s down right so you shouldn’t see a large loss of signal splitting to the to amps. Nothing that turning up the input gain in the amps couldn’t compensate for.
    So I wouldn’t add an OD before the split just your distortion going to the dirty amp after the split. Dial that in to taste and your should be good to go.

13. That's what I originally thought. But I wanted to be positive. I'm going to do the set up tomorrow I have to pull the grill speaker screen off the Bugera so I can make sure speakers are in Phase. I wish I didn't have to do that but it's only way. It's a brand-new amp and hate taking it apart. Just seems wrong to do that. LOL Just got to be careful not to strip screw heads. Plus, I'm not sure if they're painted black or are black screws want to keep it looking good.

hbabels likes this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

I have to ask...why would you do this??

15. Here this explains why better than I can. . Because using a guitar distortion/metal pedal on bass you use the low-end, and I want to run my dirty to one amp and clean to another. It's actually very common to use two amps this way. Then there's the reason I like the sound tone and added headroom. Then you can run clean on one amp and effects on another.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  16. mmbongo

No I mean why would you take your amp apart to see if your speakers are in phase? If they are out of phase it will be painfully obvious.

17. Being a beginner, I might have to for me. To really be positive I'm going to see If I can tell first before I do it. I'm not going to have to unless i need to. If it's as you put it painfully obvious then will be no need too.

18. mmbongo

If your speakers are out of phase you will have zero bottom end because the opposing sine waves are cancelling each other out. Your highs will be shrill and peircing and will have a chorus type effect. There is no mistaking when you have a pair of speakers out of phase.

19. I keep trying to find an example of it on line but everything I find Is just a verbal explanation.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022