1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OD/Distortion Pedals...I've tried em all

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    ...well maybe not all of them but quite a few. I've had the Sansamp BDDI, MXR M80, MXR Blowtorch, EHX Bass Balls, Fulltone Bassdrive, Guyatone Flip Bass Driver, Tech 21 VT Bass, Ibanez Bass Tubescreamer, GK Diesel Dawg, Aguilar Tonehammer , Aguilar Agro and probably a few more I'm forgetting........the winner, the Boss ODB-3. Over the years i've witnessed this pedal take a beating here at TB but for me, it does exactly was I think a bass overdrive should. Used it tonight at a gig with an American Deluxe P in passive mode into an SVT Classic and the tone absolutely killed.

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Have you tried a B3K?

3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Have you tried the Okko Basstard?

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I never gave it a chance due to it's rep here until I heard one played live with a Jazz through an SVT, then I bought one the very next day and still have it!

I will be trying out the Monte Allums mods at some point too, which should make it even better by reducing the mid scoop and taming the highs.

5. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    No, not any of the boutique pedals really...just your run of the mill, readily available at GC type pedals. BTW, the thread title is a joke,. I certainly don't think i've tried them all....

6. Glad it works for you. I've never gigged with an ODB-3, I just didn't like it enough the few times I've tried it in a music store to risk it. My setup is very different from yours- active spector into a hybrid amp, rather than the P and tubes classic.

7. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah, I have a Euro 4 LX-TW and the signal is so hot (even with the trim pot turned way down) that it doesn't play well with most OD pedals. But Spectors are so growly anyways IMO they don't really need it. I love the way my Spector sounds straight into my 1001RBII.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Have you tried the TAFM?

Can't tolerate the ODB-3 personally.

9. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    If you love the ODB-3 (which I sure did) then I think you'll get on with the BB Preamp, which I swapped mine for.

10. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Just checked it out and YouTube and it sounds great. I'll have to watch the classifieds for one.

11. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Never been a fan of the odb. Although I have had one for many years.
    Ime it sounds rough either into ss amps or to di, but I have been reasonably impressed hearing it into all valve heads and in the mix

Seriously though the b3k IMO and ime has no equal!

12. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah, I thought it really sounded great into the SVT Classic with a passive bass. Listened to the b3K and it sounds great too...looks like all I accomplished by starting this thread is to add more fuel to the G.A.S. fire:eek:

13. That's how I feel in just about every thread in here. :rollno: Don't forget to check out The Elements by Dr. Scientist. :D

14. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Hehehe glad to be a part of your GAS!
    Hit me up if you need any more info! Wether it is about he pedals themselves, nearest dealers, etc. ;).

Regards!

Doug.

15. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I always found the ODB to be incredibly sterile ans brittle sounding, but if you got it to work for you that is all that matters!

I've personally been using a Heavy Electronics El Oso. One of the best pedals I've ever played and it has taken up permanent residence on my board.

16. +1 to the B3K. I've tried the Boss ODB 3 on a few occasions but found it brittle sounding. Also, I could never get it to blend with my clean signal well, it always kind of sounded like my tone with a layer of bright fuzz on top, kind of like 2 separate signals. Power to you if it works with your setup though.

I recently got a B3K myself and while it is expensive, it really kills. Fantastic OD.

17. oakal

oakal

Mar 31, 2011
    I found with the ODB-3 it took off far too many lows. However, running the odb-3 through a sansamp rack mount back into the power amp and i found the rackmount sansamp added lows back onto it nicely and it sounded great. Oddly, when i tried this with the BDDI rather than the sansamp rackmount the result wasn't nearly as satisfying - yet many people love the BDDi and say its basically the same as the rackmount effect. SOOOO not true!

18. Well, the rackmount version has a mids control doesn't it?

19. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Checkers is better than Burger King or McDonald's........but it doesn't mean it's the best place to eat.