OD/Distortion, What's The Point?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rumzini, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    It's not that I don't like distortion. I't just seems that when I engage one of my five distortions it jut can't be heard. The guitar is just to overpowering. The distortion from him just masks whatever I'm doing.

So far I have used the distortion on my new MXR M-80, Ibanez Phat Head, Marshall Guv Nor II, my Rocktron Wah had\s dist., and I've overdriven my BDDI...with no avail. Am I gonna have to drop these boxes and go for something like a Big Muff, Whooly Mammoth, or something more expensive such as these?

I'm just about to give up all together!
  2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Sell them all, get a Fulltone BassDrive. Problem solved!

3. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    seems to me that the distortion you are using is taking the bass away and concentrating it towards that of the guitarist....some pedal that maintained the strength of the bass would be welcomed......the sansamp di will do this.
  4. depends on the sound of the distortion. If its similar to the guitarist, ofcorse youre going to blend in with him.

Distortion isnt something that should be used all the time. Grit you can. But distortion should be used in breaks and fills or guitar solos or when the gutar goes clean. Your clean tone will always be more powerful then distorted.

5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Oh yeah, my clean tone cuts and rips right through no problem. I can adjust the bass on two of the pedals, well, three including the Sansamp. but even the BDDI isn't really cutting through. Nor my new MXR M-80. I understand about using them at the right time as well. I 've also considered selling them as well and getting something a bit more quality. The Fultone is a candidate for sure. I've listend to the Zvex Mammoth on line and holy cow does it sound cool, pricey, but cool.
  6. yeh, ive listend to some clips online. The thing that worries me, is most people say its just insane, not tame at all. And the clips ive heard, dont sound too insane. Which makes me think the compression onto the video, or soudclips on here have smething to do with it.

My chunk systems brown dog gated bass fuzz should be arriving this week. Another handmade pedal. I'll post a review on it. Might be another candidate?.

7. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Heck yeah...let me know if you don't mind. I also read here that the Mammoth dosn't like active guitars though...that would be my 55-01. Hmmmm....
  8. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I tried the mammoth with a pasive bass and it was craptastic. It definately sounded compressed with an active bass, which is why I won't get one.
    The bass xxl is pretty decent and I do like my multidrive for heavier overdrive vs. my normally od sound.
    I really noticed how everything changed though when I started boosting my mids, you might want to look into a seperate eq pedal to pair with a distortion.
    The mxr blowtorch with the blend and mid switch might be hawt.
  9. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Is the blowtorch an expanded version of the distortion channel on the M-80 or something totallly different?
  10. uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    I hear you Rumzini! I've had the same problem.

I'm playing in a metal band with 2 heavy distorted guitars and I used to play with my fingers, using EBS MultiDrive and boosting the bass frequenzies only. I couldn't hear myself at all in the mix apart from the low end I was laying of course.

Sooo.. I decided to give a **** on the Commerford-wannabe-style and hung my strap low, grabbed a pick, set the EQ all flat and boosted the low mids, high mids and a little treble, engaged my multidrive for just a little grit and... the floor was rumbleing under our feet ;)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that.. break some "he's-my-idol-I-have-to-do-like-him"-things and go for what sounds good to your band. A lot can happen when fiddleing with the EQ you know :)

Oh and by the way, you should really keep your MXR-M80 for its distortion, I think it sounds so great when used with a pick. But that's just me!
  11. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    That's what a lot pf posts said was that it was good Dist. I'ts only been one night with it, but it really was giving me some funky twangy attack that just wasn't pleasureable. I definetly do what sounds good for the band, however not at the expense to what I want to sound like. I look towards certain players for reference to tone but in no way do I want to be a wanna be, other than I qanne be me! However I do love Tim's grind that he gets, but I'm not about to start buying more cabs dedicated to od/distortion alone.

I just rtraded for a Marshal Guv Nor and played with it a lil last night. I was actually surprised to how well it was. Had a different flavor to it that wasn't to bad...but erven with the four band eq it has, it got lost as well. More experimentation is in order. At least I now have plenty of pedals for trade bait or cash!
  12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Like I posted in another thread recently:

...I was running house sound recently. We had a band that had a pretty hard sound - definately Metal-ish in the instrument tones. The Bassist exhibited from his amp tone, and said when I asked, that he wanted a bassy (muddy) tone. Well - several songs into their set, I still couldn't get a good overall sound on them, so I dared to go against what the bassist wanted (hey - they didn't bring a sound guy of their own!). See - I had my Aphex Exciter direct-box on his cable, so I didn't have to go with his muddy amp settings (I was just up-until-then trying to duplicate his amp tone). I set the mid-freq on the board to.. I dunno - around 1200 or 1600Hz or something, and then when the song made the next change (verse to chorus, I think), I cranked the mid-boost like 9 or 12dB or so...

The crowd actually CHEERED when the bass busted-out like that - and from then-on I was able to set up a very nice, powerful (but much-less 'oppressive'-feeling) mix for them.

I talked with the band about it after the show. I explained that even though the guitars practiced a nice kind of 'frequency slotting' - in that one of them ran 'scooped', and the other was like 'opposite' of that, with a predominantly-middy sound, so there was distinction between them, even with their thick, Metal-ish kind of high-gain distortion - the bass - when its tone was allowed to ring like this - was the only FREE, like living-sounding instrument; the guitars were like 'industrial'-sounding, in comparison... Know what I mean? The harmonics from those bright round-wounds just opened-up the whole band's sound!

They were very interested in this idea, and said they'd reconsider the band's bass tone.

13. i agree really. most really loud bands i see/hear just get way way too muddy. i hate it when i see a band and you can hardly hear what theyre doing, its just this big wall of mush. i love thickness and walls of sound but youve got to have something that cuts through, like the synth tones on MBV's Loveless. perfect example.
  14. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Me no like mud. I'm backing off on the bass a lot sometimes...boosting the mid to cut. I'm just glad that my brother in law have this frequency understanding. He satys out of mine, and well...I really can't say that I stay out of his, but ya know what I mean.
  15. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    It is all about the final mix down of everyone... I had this issue with my old band.
    The drummer: 3 floor toms and one bass drum. Each tuned lower than the next... Where does my low end fit in? It gets lost in the toms and kick drum.
    Guitar Player: Lows and low-mid range. Where does the rest of my low and mids fit in...
    I would have had the highs. Isnt that fun? bass player focusing on the highs in a band that is tuned to CGCF and ADGCF???

You may need less bass and more mid range or vice versa to cut through.

Usually during recording, you will find out where you all should set your stuff up so it mixes well. Unlike my old band, which is why I am calling it my "old" band!
  16. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Meh...we're all mixing in very well actually...when I'm clean. I'll experiment more...focus on the filler parts during the guitar players solo work.
  17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've done a couple of "experiments" by recording some guitar, and then playing bass over it. I'm acctually getting some good bass tone. Personally, I've started distort all the time, trying to make the highs/hi-mids blend in, and really have the lo-mids/bass come through with some growl. With my PDDI, I'm working on getting some killer lo-midrange. The reason for distortion all the time is so that then you've got a bass+quiet guitar sound on the bass, and then the guitar can come in and then you would have bass+louder guitar (obviously).

This "technique" is actually something I noticed while listening to Kataklysm. The guitarist in the band tends to focus on High-Mid to Treble for his distortion. All in all, some good shiz :bassist:
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Try out a Digitech Bad Monkey. It lets you adjust your frequencies so the bass won't drop out and it lets you dial in subtle to hard OD. It's only $39.00 and a great buy, IMHO.

I've tried a number of dist and od pedals and the Bad Monkey has worked the best for me. Sure, it's not a high end pedal and there are those who will ridicule anything sporting the Digitech name, but you may like it.
  19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I've acctually been looking/listening to some of the demos on the digitech site, and the "fuzz" example of the Bass Drive sounds like it cuts up the lows pretty good! If anyone would like to confirm that the demo is fairly accurate that would be great! :bassist:
  20. what about double amping?
    one clean and one distorted...