1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OD Hangover?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Oct 3, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I realize the topic sounds more at home on a drug addiction forum, but it's the best way I can describe this phenomenon...

When I use an overdrive for more than a minute, after I turn it off I still hear overdrive. Not as much overdrive as with the pedal, but it still sounds dirty to me. I go and listen to my amp up close and it sounds clean, but once I get away from it and listen to it in the mix, I still hear this dull and slightly buzzy sound. It's all in my head, but I still hear it that way. Overdrive hangover is what I call it.

Anyone else ever get that?

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
  3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    could be ear fatigue?

4. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    That'd be my guess!

5. that buzzy sound is called guitar ho ho

but yeah i get this sometimes but it is just the guitarist since we both have similar tones

6. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    :D

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thankfully, I don't have that. When I switch off the dirt, I hear the clean. And it's good. I'm wondering if all that rockin' is starting to cause some sort of an issue, that might need to be checked out. Might want to consider an ear check-up, to be safe.

8. I don't what that is but I always have a high pitch hissing in my ears.

The wonders of Tinnitus...and I'm only 16. Protect your ears folks!

9. MattMcCue

MattMcCue

Jul 14, 2008
    I totally know what you're talking about! Not nessisarily overdrive, but fuzz in my case. It always freaks me out when we start the next song and my bass sounds dirrrtty.

10. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    After a decade & 1/2 of full-time playing, I finally decided to spend a paltry $200 to get a set of 'musicians' custom earplugs. I wish I'd done it a decade a go- I'm an idiot! I have a low-freq rumbling in my right ear that's an extreme nuisance. I cannot bear to be in a silent environment for very long.

Do yourselves a favor & get a set of filters if you plan on playing loud often. When I'm not using in-ears live, or just attending a show (not working), I use my Westone 15db filters. They sound waaay better than foam or rubber earplugs & are custom fit so they are comfortable.

Trust me, it's worth it!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You guys forget who you're talking to? The guy who can gig on a B-15 and still have clean headroom? While I'm sure ear fatigue plays a part, the volumes I play at aren't nearly enough to damage hearing.

I think Ricken may be right that I have some sort of ear problem going on...about 20 years ago I had an ear, nose and throat guy blow out all the wax in my ear with one of those water guns. Maybe I need that again.

Guitar ho ho...LOL!

12. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Sorry... could you type louder? ;)

13. I've had a similar thing happen after I listen to music. I get an echo, if you will, in my ears.

But since my bass is always overdriven, I can't say I hear anything different on the clean settings, because they are less-overdriven settings.

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I find my ears can get fatigued at pretty low volume, like bedroom levels. Sometimes they seem to just burn out on overdrive or filter or whatever. It seems like it has more to do with tonal complexity that decibels.

15. I hear you Jimmy, my go to amp is the B-15 too and I can get clean and loud too.
    Right now I have a head cold so every thing is muffled and distorted.
    Occasionally my head will clear up and I do a Holly crap this is way too loud and bright.

It might be worth a trip to an ear doctor just to get things checked out. Actually to save your hearing in the future it is worth the trip.

MM

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'm way overdue for a good physical, honestly. I stay pretty much up on my health care except for that. And smoking. And eating fast food. Aw, who am I kidding? I'm a ticking time bomb.