1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OD sounds from a muff? Possible?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by deepestend, Oct 9, 2017.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    is anyone using a muff as an OD? What version? What settings?

I’m putting together a little flyrig type pedal and would love to build a muff that can reasonably cover OD to fuzz.

I’m taking a deep dive but thought I’d ask here as well.

2. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Maybe it depends on the muff but IME they don't clean up the best. Maybe with a lower input volume it would work though, my muff experience is limited.

Nunovsky likes this.
  3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Although the IC Big Muff is similar electronically to an overdrive pedal - it uses clipping diodes in the feedback loop of an op-amp, the two stages of signal boosting before the fuzz stage means it's pretty much a fuzz. First stage boosts the signal, then the second stage also boost the signal and does some tone shaping, and third stage does the fuzzing.

4. wncBass

wncBass Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Wren & Cuff TFR with the distortion turned down. Sounds great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    blindrabbit, torza and jw23mind like this.
  5. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I’m hearing that if you take the Green Russian and take out the first set of diodes and our led’s for the second set you get a super tight muff. Anyone else hear this?

6. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Because my custom Dunwich muff is made to go into amps that are already overdriven, it is much lower gain than a typical big muff, though it's based on the old Green Russian version (with the addition of a mids knob and switch, and diode switch).

blindrabbit, mpdd and gregmon79 like this.
  7. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I think this makes sense, as you are essentially decreasing the clipping and thus gain; plus more volume on tap due to the higher threshold of the LEDs. I used a Gnomeratron VTF to experiment with this combo so I have experienced directly. Only problem is you lose some of the fuzz from lowered gain and so less of what makes a muff a muff. But overdrive, yes.

8. jw23mind

jw23mind Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    I also liked the sound of removing the first set of diodes from a homebrew green russian. Still plenty of gain but sounded great for bass.

9. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks! Maybe I’ll put the first stage diode removal on a switch.

gregmon79 and nice_hat like this.
  10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Fuzzrocious Grey Stache

I use a regular Big Muff sometimes, in a loop of the LS-2 with the Fuzz turned up rather a lot and the mix turned way down.

rratajski likes this.
  11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Sanford and Sunny Bluebeard cleans up really nicely at low gain with lower input volume. I'm planning on adding a pot to lower input gain on my next muff kit build.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You might also want to install a trimpot for the LED volume, if it ends up being anything like my MXR Bass Distortion. It was so much louder than the silicon diodes that I had to dial it all the way back to get volumes to match when switching in between them. Ryan, the Fuzzrocious guy who also designed the Bass D, says he prefers the sound of the LED trimpot all the way up, but I couldn't tell much of a difference in tone, just volume.

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Most muffs I've tried have done a pretty good job at lower gain (for a muff). I just ran the dist low at like 9 oclock and upped the volume a lot. The newer EHX green Russian does this pretty goof. I'm actually favoring that setting more lately because it seems to cut better. Too much gain can really bury you out. Let alone the muff mid scoop sans a mids mod.

But that mod you're talking about with the LEDs sounds kinda cool @deepestend. I say go for it! Maybe @boomertech or @johnk_10 could throw their $.02 in on that one.....

14. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    for my tube head the swollen pickle worked best

15. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    How do you make an LED trimpot?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know. I just know that the MXR Bass Distortion has one for LED mode and it seemed like a good idea to me :D

17. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

My custom Dunwich has both silicon and LED diodes, with a switch between them. The LED setting is definitely louder and also more aggressive sounding.

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

If you want a one box dirt solution, then there's a few choices. Source Audio Aftershock if you want digital and a huge array of model options. On the analogue side, the Creation Audio Grizzly bass is an excellent choice, as is the DAM Ezekiel (although you'll need to find a clone / bespoke build).

19. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    In have a DAM clone, which is pretty nice to have and blends well. Not quite as deep and warm as a muff but goodnin a band setting.

20. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Why don't you buy a Source Audio Afterschock?
    You can get an OD sound and a Muff sound and a distortion, or a whole bunch of diferent drives and fuzzes in just one box. It will sound much better than modifying a muff.

blindrabbit likes this.