1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ODB-3 Problems.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Oct 31, 2010.

1. So I have an ODB-3 that I bought from a guitar-playing buddy of mine for $20, which is a really good deal.

It worked well for a while, then I realized it made a really annoying popping noise when I clicked it down if it was placed in front of my TU-2 in my chain. So I switched the order, and it worked great for a while.

After a few more months of use, the pedal just stopped engaging all together. I've tried using a stronger o-ring, using different power supplies, cables, basses, amps, and I still get nothing. I know for a while my input jack came loose and I had to put the washer and nut back on it, but otherwise I can't figure out anything and I'm not a good electrician.

Any way to fix it? Any troubleshooting advice?

2. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

My ODB3's footswitch died....I couldn't turn the thing off. It could be that. A $5 replacement switch and 20 minutes fixed mine.

If all else fails, they're really cheap on the used market, as you already know.

3. Footswitch? Sorry like I said.. I'm an electronics noob.

4. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    You know, the switch that you switch on and off with your foot. its the black button located in the battery cavity that turns the effect on and off.

5. Funkinthetrunk

If you open up the battery compartment, the little black thing sticking up on the right side is the bypass footswitch. I bought mine new and it never really worked right out of the box. After replacing the switch, it's been fine. Don't know if that's your problem....just a guess.

6. I'm assuming the replacement is something you can find at a place like Ace Hardware? And is any soldering required in the repair?

7. Funkinthetrunk

Sure....but this special Ace Hardware is called Small Bear Electronics. Desoldering and resoldering required. It's only 2 wires, though.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=36

8. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    :meh:
    "foot"

:meh:
    "switch"

That one seems self explanatory.

I would put the soldering iron down and find another used pedal to buy. Being out $20.00 on a broken pedal is no big deal.

9. I've never opened the pedal up (I've only used 9v external power, never used batteries) so I understood what a footswitch did, but I didn't know where it was, what it looked like, etc.