Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ODB-3 vs. Big Muff PI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jun 30, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I'm looking for a good distortion to use with a wah pedal. What one do you guys prefer, the odb-3 or the big muff pi (russian version)?I really like cliff burtons sound on Pulling Teeth, would I get that tone with a russion big muff pi?

2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    big muff for cliff burton's tone

3. odb-3, cuz you can get cliff and any other sound that's distortion laden

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    What kind of big muff did cliff use? What kind fo wah did he use? I knwo he used a power wah but if i got the mark tremonti power wah, would it be the same? I realise that when you step off of the wah it goes off, did cliff always have the wah on a bit or was it off except for when he pressed it down to get the trebly "screams" ?

5. I dont know too much about Burton (not too big a Metallica fan, but there are plenty to help you out here) but I do know about both pedals because I own both. Big Muff is very fuzzy, you can almost get it to sound like synthy fuzz if you play around with it enough. ODB-3 is a distortion, and a harsh one at that. Odb-3 however is more versatile in the types of sounds you can get though, and that wet/dry switch is a plus. Plus, its made for bass, something the Muff wasnt. The Muff however, still sounds great for bass as long as you keep the tone to the left. Also, the Muff is true bypass, meaning that you will still retain all of your original sound if you turn it off mid-playing. On passive basses, you may not care about true bypass or not, but you notice it ALOT if you play an active bass. If you really liked the Odb-3 though but aren't willing to put up with its bypass, there are ways around this, such as shelling out extra bucks for a mod, or buying a looper pedal.

6. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Cliff used a green Sovtek Big Muff Pi and a Morley Power Wah IIRC.

With my black Russian model, I get a pretty nasty Cliff tone. It's only when I want to do a Cliff-esque solo that I use it though - too fuzzy for anything else and sucks out the bottom end IME.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're completely different beasts, the Big Muff is a fuzz pedal, much like Cliff Burton's tone, while the ODB-3 is an overdrive, which retains more of the original signal, the Muff tends to clip it more. Neither is better.

Cliff used a green Sovtek Muff, some Americans sound like them, some of the Black sovteks sound like them. We're talking about being on a Muff by Muff basis here.

And finally, the Tremonti Power Wah is not the same as the PWB that Cliff used. According to the guys at Morley, the modern equivalent is the PDW-II Pro Series II Distortion Wah Volume.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Does the wah really affect much? Or if i used a crybaby bass wah would it stillg et that sound?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The wah is the sweeping, crying sound heard in Cliff's tone. However, Morley and Dunlop wahs are voiced differently, you can get a similar, though not exact tone from a Crybaby.

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    thank you very much for the input tplyons. have you had any experience with the proco rats? do u think they would be what im looking for? what about the digitech metal master or the boss metal zone?

Thanks again,
    ~JB~

11. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Big Muff by a mile. I own both and the Big Muff actually gave me tones I could use.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Would you suggest the American or the Russian one?

13. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The American ones are more expensive and I would assume are more consistent. Also better suited for guitar generally IIRC.

The Russian models are known to be very inconsistent and are built like tanks except the cheap plastic knobs.

14. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've got a Big Muff and an ODB-3. The BOSS will give you more versitility, but the Muff just sounds freakin' awesome! My BOSS is set for subtle grit and the Muff is balls to the wall fuzz.

15. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    It depends what you need: The American one will have a warmer tone, while the Russian Muff is much more harsh. I have the American one, and so far no problems related to poor quality. I love my Muff, it's a great pedal.

Graeme

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like my usual copy and paste American vs. Russian answer :)

As far as that, I prefer the American Muff to the Sovteks, build quality? Much better. True Bypass, and frankly, I like the smoother tone and think it lends very well to bass frequencies.

However, a ProCo rat is another of my favorite pedals. Certainly worth a gander, but I always found myself switching opamps for a tad more gain and bite. Right out of the box, they're still great.

Out of the three, a Big Muff to me is a MUST, then a ProCo Rat is a good idea, I could do without the ODB-3.

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Thats the answer ive been waiting to hear! thanks!

18. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Would an american big muff pedal sound like cliff burton aswell? I've heard he used a russian one...

I may have to buy before i can try one, but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it since I have a great deal of respect for you tplyons and i trust you know what you are talking about lol

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    You could get close with an American. I can pretty much nail it with mine. But keep in mind that Cliff didn't use the black Russian one that you're thinking of, he used an old green Russian one. Those are pretty hard to find, but there was one on the 'bay a while back. They're very harsh though.

Graeme

20. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Keep in mind that i want my own sound, not cliffs, jsut something liek his. I think this pedal will do fine then. What is the difference between the original big muff pi and the reissue?