ODB3 - cutting through the mix

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Sep 21, 2002.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I want my ODB3 to cut through the mix without sounding like a g****r. I want to keeps the original tone of the bass in tact and add some grind and OD on top so that the original tone of the bass cuts through as well as the extra fizz of the OD. I aslo don't want a volume change when turning the pedal on
    Any ideas apart from spending lots more $$'s? I'm using a P-bass throuh a Trace Elliot 1x15 combo.
  2. heres what I do...e.q flat(on the pedal)blend @ 12:00(or somewhere near there)..set gain to your taste..then adjust level until you get the o.d. and bypassed signal the same...hope this works for ya....BTW, the blend control will increase the level of the pedal the "wetter" your mix is....so remember to adjust the level control so the volume is the same when bypassed
  3. if you want to cut thru.. ditch the 15" speaker and do some tweaking on the EQ.. the overdrive cannot help you with that.
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I own an ODB-3

I have never really found a good overdrive from it. However, it has kick ass fuzz and distortion. As long as you tweak the volume knob a bit and keep treble at 12:00 (and maybe bass @1:00 or something around there) you will have a good bassy sound.

The ODB-3 is misnamed.

And AllodoX is right: a 15 inch speaker would be a tad mushy, wouldn't it? Get a 2x10 in addition to the 1x15 and you will be good to go.
  5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Playing on your own it's easy to get a great sound, but when you play with the band I find that if you don't keep the original tone the bass just disappears from the mix. For that reason I've found that having the gain above 9:00 kills the tone. Also, the pedal seems gutless with the gain below 11:00 so I've found that I like 12:00 even though it’s a bit fizzy when played solo, it's OK in the mix. I've also found I like to keep the EQ's at 12:00 so that the original tone is kept.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
  6. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    get rid of it and get a better OD :D
    actually this is what I did. the old ODB-3 I had gave me the same problem (plus the sounds from it were fairly bad). I don't think there is a way to cut through a band with this pedal.

I sold it and went with the Fulltone Bassdrive and now I can be heard. But yes that will be more $$.

7. i agree with KB completely. The Boss ODB-3 is a terrible overdrive... I have one but i only use it for the occasional fuzz and noise... my Fulltone BassDriver takes care of my OD. Sorry to say, you're gonna have to shell out a few extra bucks to get a good overdrive sound.
  8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You may also want to try cutting the bass and boosting the mids.
  9. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I played it with the band last night and it cut through well by keeping the balance at 8:30 and gain and eq's at 12:00. Boosting the MIDS would be good but it has no MID eq, That is the one thing the pedal lacks, maybe an EQ pedal before or after it would help?