Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

odd bow hold

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by KSDbass, May 23, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I don't play double bass, i make noises with my violin for my schools orchestra :p but, one of our double bassists holds his bow really weird. he puts his middle finger and his ring finger together inside the bow, then he put his index finger around the top, and his pinkie just kind of sits there, but he has some expensive german bow(if that matters). His bass rattles disturbingly when he plays, but it doesnt when other people play. so is this a real bowhold, and why does it rattle?

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Sounds like pretty much the standard method of wielding the German bow. (Down here In The Dark there are two kinds of bows: French, held overhand much like you're used to as an any-strings-player-but-bassist; and German, which is an underhanded attempt at a bow. They have different shapes.) His arm weight is being transferred to the bow largely through that index finger. For me it's the thumb that really doesn't do anything. The pinky sits under the frog and gets into the action a little bit.

3. Hey, you should stay awhile. If you are interested in this german bow thing then look under "bows and rosin." There are A LOT of things I wish the other strings that I play with knew about the double bass. We are flooded with information about "normal" orchestral strings so much that sometimes I feel like everyone is asking eachother for washing soap when I'm not listening while they bathe and lather in their ignorance. Sorry, I just took myself to another place and got a little carried away. (hehe pun). I also play german bow by the way.

One thing that would make me happy for you to look into is the art of jazz. I don't want you to get the wrong idea though. I don't give a crap if you go out and buy everything in a dept. store's jazz collection or start hanging out with people who play jazz, but rather, try to understand it. UNLEARN the god-forsaken habits that many orchestral only players pick up like striving for 1st chair/desk to the point of hating your rival, or lack of musical perspective.

I'm not trying to be unamiable (if that's a word), I just want to allow you to understand where we are coming from. We, the section that allows itself to appreciate what is going on in the entire orchestra because of frequent rests and (most of the time) easier parts.