odd, but fun gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Microbass, Apr 10, 2005.

1. We turned up in Edinburgh 20mins late after having some dodgy directions; we were still second there!
    Definatly an interesting gig.
    Since I had forgot to send out a demo for the organiser to see if we were any good, we were on first; this meant we sat through 4 soundchecks; I started to notice something: most of the bassists had rickenbackers! EVERY band's guitarist used a telecaster... And more worryingly... We were the only band without an acoustic guitar. :D
    Everyone was drinking wine and had fairly dodgy haircuts, I felt like I was in That 70s Show...

The guy who we'd got the gig thru', Kevin, a guy who had checked us out passed along our name to the organiser. We asked him if he had checked us out, and with a big grin he answered "Yup. Going to be a funny night :D" - us being SO much louder - and heavier (we're not even heavy!) -than everyone else. Muwhahaahha!

The downer for me, tho, was that I had to use some Laney amp... Pffft. Makes me think of a wannabe-old school peavey, except its not a tank and has tone camparable with a pile of dung. :eyebrow: The guy who brought a kit, of course, brought what HE needed... A hi hat stand, and a single cymbol stand... I dunno!

Now, this is where it gets really bizarre! During our soundcheck, we'll call this fantastic man Joe. "Hey, can we turn down the guitar, and turn up the bass?!"
    I told him I loved him, and he was the greatest man I'd ever met.

We became friends with the band Stocious (some UK TBers may have heard of them) great guys and muscians! They had brought all their merch and a big backdrop to put behind their table. I combatted this by writing our web addy on a piece of paper, and sticking it to their backdrop with bluetack :smug: Along with several misc pieces of paper around the room.

All in all, very few flub-ups during our set, and plenty of comments, some of the best being:
    "Damn man, about ****ing time we got some good original **** in here!"
    "Bastards! we were the heaviest and loudest band in here before you guys got here!"
    "****in' raw man!"

And we even got a free pint of goat pi.. err, Fosters! :)
  2. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Haha, I know the feeling. This Saturday my band is going to play with a bunch of folk groups.(We're kind of heavy, but not metal)