Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

odd, but fun gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Microbass, Apr 10, 2005.

1. We turned up in Edinburgh 20mins late after having some dodgy directions; we were still second there!
    Definatly an interesting gig.
    Since I had forgot to send out a demo for the organiser to see if we were any good, we were on first; this meant we sat through 4 soundchecks; I started to notice something: most of the bassists had rickenbackers! EVERY band's guitarist used a telecaster... And more worryingly... We were the only band without an acoustic guitar. :D
    Everyone was drinking wine and had fairly dodgy haircuts, I felt like I was in That 70s Show...

The guy who we'd got the gig thru', Kevin, a guy who had checked us out passed along our name to the organiser. We asked him if he had checked us out, and with a big grin he answered "Yup. Going to be a funny night :D" - us being SO much louder - and heavier (we're not even heavy!) -than everyone else. Muwhahaahha!

The downer for me, tho, was that I had to use some Laney amp... Pffft. Makes me think of a wannabe-old school peavey, except its not a tank and has tone camparable with a pile of dung. :eyebrow: The guy who brought a kit, of course, brought what HE needed... A hi hat stand, and a single cymbol stand... I dunno!

Now, this is where it gets really bizarre! During our soundcheck, we'll call this fantastic man Joe. "Hey, can we turn down the guitar, and turn up the bass?!"
    I told him I loved him, and he was the greatest man I'd ever met.
    :D

We became friends with the band Stocious (some UK TBers may have heard of them) great guys and muscians! They had brought all their merch and a big backdrop to put behind their table. I combatted this by writing our web addy on a piece of paper, and sticking it to their backdrop with bluetack :smug: Along with several misc pieces of paper around the room.

All in all, very few flub-ups during our set, and plenty of comments, some of the best being:
    "Damn man, about ****ing time we got some good original **** in here!"
    "Bastards! we were the heaviest and loudest band in here before you guys got here!"
    "****in' raw man!"

And we even got a free pint of goat pi.. err, Fosters! :)

2. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Haha, I know the feeling. This Saturday my band is going to play with a bunch of folk groups.(We're kind of heavy, but not metal)