Odd cover tune for my band question..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Kronos, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey guys...if any of you have listened to what we play, you know we're a metal band that does originals.

Well, thing is that we're planning on throwing people for a loop and playing a song that we all love, but I'm a bit afraid of what crowd reaction will be. We're not going to bastardize the song, but we will take some slight artistic license with it to make it a little more our own.

We're planning on covering Billy Joel's "Captain Jack".

(personally, I think "pressure" would be a more appropo cover for us)

Anyway, my biggest fear would be that it would alienate us from our group (albeit small group) of fans that we've amassed over the year. The flip side of the coin would be that they'd go batpoop crazy over it, which would be awesome.

What do you guys think? Do you think it's a good idea? Should I care since we're going to have fun playing it anyway?
  2. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Go for it. Seemingly inappropriate metal covers are lots of fun. But be prepared to still have people asking you stupid questions about it in five years
  3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003

If you guys put the right spin on it, it could be cool. I would think Big Shot, It's Still Rn'R To Me, or You May Be Right would be a better match. Go for it, see what happens.
  4. MUppet

Nov 16, 2004
    Agreed with above,

Be careful, it could dive bomb something Fierce!

I think a different Billy Joel tune would be a better option though.

Something more 'popular' -- unless your a Billy Joel Fan, you probably don't know the tune that well, if at all

5. You won't know 'til you try it. If it sucks, scrap it.

I think its cool when bands step out of their comfort zone and share an influential piece of music with their own spin on it.
    When its done purely for shock value or to get attention (i.e. "Faith by Limp Bizkit or "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm) its a bit of a pain in the oblongs.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If it's a song that the whole band likes and wants to do, then do it and stick to it! Your fans might not like it at first, but it will probably grow on them. An unusual cover song will make your performances unique and memorable. Even if people don't like it, they will probably talk about it, which is good.

FWIW, I was friends with some guys in a Hard Rock band, and in the middle of the show they would cover The Rodeo Song, and most people loved it, and for some, it was the most memorable song of the performance.