Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

odd crackling in my rack system...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by merlin, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Hey just me wandering over from Setup, i figured i move so many threads over here, i might as well start one myself! ;)

Well anywho my question. I have built myself a 100 watt (into 4 ohms) power amp in a 2U rack, and a 2 channel preamp in another 2U rack case. I just started using it more regularly two days ago, and last night when i turned them one there was a horrible crackling noise coming out of the speakers, as if DC were present at the output.

I don't have these cases in a road case so they sit on top of each other. In the power amp is the main power transformer and a smaller transformer to drive the fan etc. Then obviously another transformer in the preamp case.

The odd thing is tho, i put the preamp on the floor, switched it all on and no crackling. Only when they sit ontop of each other. I checked my earthing and all is sound. Any suggestions?? I was thinking maybe it was the resonating from the transformers. eh i have no idea. And there is no dry joints either.

:D:D

Merls

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Thats a good idea, pity they're only available in America. But i may be able to work with something along those ideas. Thanx for replying.

:D:D

Merls