1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Odd duck Ampeg cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brothernewt, Nov 7, 2010.

1. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    CL ad:
    4ohms...much louder than the svt 15 that's 8ohms. It's a cabinet they only made 1 year. It's got 2 15's...one in the front and one in the back...designed so it could be at the front of the stage with the rear speaker working like a monitor. A little weird but loud and sounds great.

[​IMG]

I've never heard of such a thing, but it's pretty cheap... pro's/con's?

Curious more than anything...

2. I like it!

3. lpbass3

lpbass3

Oct 31, 2010
    Thats unusual. I have the Ampeg isovent, with the 2 bass speakers mounted face to face and wired out of phase. They do like to mess around at ampeg.

4. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    It's an Ampeg DD-15 (Dual Drive Enclosure). There was another variation (the SVR215)which was the same cab with a 4 space rack built in for a head like the SVT 2 Pro etc...

From the '93 catalog:

"The DD-15 and SVR215 feature a 200 watt, cast-frame, custom designed 15" woofer and a high-frequency horn mounted on its front baffle. A second 200 watt 15" driver is mounted on the rear baffle. The result is a compact enclosure with full range operation capable of handling 400 watts of power. The rear-firing woofer is crossed over at 150 Hz so it reproduces only the omni-directional bass notes. These low frequencies phase-allign with the front-firing woofer and increase the cabinet's low frequency response down to 30 Hz. This unique combination also permits the handling of 400 watts down to 15 Hz so driver damage is never a concern."

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    wow... that desc makes it sound pretty cool. Seems a smallish cab to be having 2 15 inch speakers though. Anyone ever use one?

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    it was pretty much designed to be "un-fartable", and it nearly is.

Yes, it is small, and yes you WILL be turning up the lows a bit to compensate. Two 86-511-08 cast frame 15s.... possibly the best wide-range 15 driver Ampeg ever had...... They were also used in a number of PA cabs. A very nice 15" speaker.

meatwad likes this.
  7. rj1972

rj1972

Nov 17, 2008
    Massapequa Park NY
    D'addario Endorsee, Tom Clement Bass Endorsee
    I have one. I used it for a few years with a early 70's SVT. Great rock cab. 4 ohms and surprisingly full range. It's not a refined or a modern sounding cabinet but for the size it's very loud and full.

For fun I plugged in my Markbass LMII and slowly pushed it with the master and bass knobs until it was maxed on both and never farted it just got louder.

Mine has seen a few hundred gigs and looks it but it still sounds good. I now use a Carvin bx1500 and lsx1503 with a 3015lf. This set up gives all the lowend, more definition and half the weight.

If you get it (I would) get some heavy duty 4" casters at Home Depot and screw them into the bottom. Drummers love this cab btw.;)

Watch the placement of this cab as the rear speaker to close to a wall will bounce all over the place and cause audience members to suffer permanent brain damage.

8. sl57

sl57

Mar 9, 2012
    Springfield Mo
    Here are some pictures of an Ampeg SVR-215 cabinet that i have. Front and rear loaded 15" speakers with HF horn and 4 space rack mount built in. It is all original and i have used it with my Ampeg SVT-3 Pro with excellent results. Still has the 2 original cast frame 15" speakers front and back and HF horn.

Attached Files:

9. sl57

sl57

Mar 9, 2012
    Springfield Mo
    More pictures of it. Click on pics to enlarge.

Attached Files:

meatwad likes this.
  10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That is a cool concept. I think Acme is doing a sort of updated version of it with 12's.

11. Cool!

12. sl57

sl57

Mar 9, 2012
    Springfield Mo
    That would be easier to fit in my car. Thanks

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice pics. Not too familiar with these Isovent cabs. I should look them up and see what's up. Ampeg did some cool stuff back in the SLM days that never quite caught on.

14. sl57

sl57

Mar 9, 2012
    Springfield Mo
    I had been looking for more info on this cabinet and it seems pretty hard to find. I thought i would take some pictures and post them to help anyone trying to see what it looks like. Thanks

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Well, this Ampeg will be pretty compact if it doesn't have the big airhead on it. If that airhead is 4U, you can kinda use that to guage it's size. Acme's site isn't playing nice with my phone. I think it's one of his newer 12" models, remember reading something on it at TB here, although I'm sure that would be a good deal more expensive. This Ampeg is pretty cool, and not that big. Probably higher SPL than the Acme too.

16. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Jimmy..
    Ive been out on the road for a week or so and did not see when you got back..

Great to see you back and in the Ampeg Forums.. Your knowledge of the product exceeds all.

17. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I used to own an SVR215 just like that....gigged with it thru much of the 90's, it was a rockin cab...funny, I still have the "Ampeg" rack space covers that came with it!

meatwad likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wish! I just own the Ampeg book. Good to see you Kirk!

19. +1! Welcome back Jimmy! I guess Bootsy can stop sporting this Devo hat now and go back to the plain old Bootsy top hat :smug:

Back on topic though, while I've no experience with this cab, it kind of reminds me of those Isovent cabs Ampeg released in the 90s that Wooten and Steve Bailey endorsed.

20. sl57

sl57

Mar 9, 2012
    Springfield Mo
    " Thundar " , Just wondering if you have any pictures of the covers for the rack mount area of the cabinet ? I have never seen them or new they had those. Thanks

Attached Files: