1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd feedback problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Codaflow, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Codaflow

Codaflow

Apr 20, 2009
    Hey folks, I apologize in advanced if this topic has been done before, and further apologize if I'm doing something dumb and wasting your time.

First, a little history. I recently was recruited back into a band, and after having sold all of my stuff years ago, I purchased an all new setup. So I started from scratch with all of the gear I'm talking about.

My problematic bass setup is composed of a Washburn bb15 Exotic wood bass w/active pickups running into a Peavey Firebass 700 that goes into an Eden 4x10 and a Carvin 1x18 (both 8ohm cabs).

If I use any of the higher range EQ settings, on either the guitar or the amp head itself, and I turn around and face the amp, it feeds back something serious. The amp then goes into protect mode and shuts off the 4x10 cab.

I have gone through all new everything (excluding the bass, but I'll get to that in a second) trying to troubleshoot this problem. New head, new cabs, new cables, the whole kit and caboodle, which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the guitar. Remember this is a brand new guitar.

Could there be something wrong with the wiring, even on a brand new bass? Could it be a shielding issue? What do you all recommend I do to further troubleshoot this?

Thank you in advance.