Odd Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skeezix, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    5045916.jpg Saw one of these today at a local shop.
    It's a Fender Classic Player Rascal Bass Guitar (Ocean Turquoise).
    Rather odd looking but has anyone played with one. Is the available
    sounds worth the oddness?

LowNloud1 and Mark76 like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I love my Rascal! Actually haven't played it lately though.

3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I tried one, and I wanted to like it... but it seemed more like a four string baritone guitar than anything. The pickups were quite snarly/sizzly, but it was just a spray of upper harmonic content without enough reinforcement in the low end. Also way too many tonal options; do one or two tones well rather than a half dozen that sort of go nowhere useful. Cool to plunk around on, but I don't see it supporting a band where a band needs to be supported. Fender did a good job of disguising a shortscale bass to feel like a 34'' instrument, but I wouldn't have reached into the parts bin and dredged up either a Guild-style bass bridge or the lipstick pickups.

4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I believe I tried one of these out and it had a constant width neck which felt bizarre.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021